Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Resistance And Release

I have been doing exercises with my right arm for three weeks, since I saw the doctor for pain in my shoulder. They are simple, lifting-without-so-much-as-a-soup-can, exercises where I bring my arm up to shoulder height in the front, to the side, and at an angle.

The pain in my arm has worsened. I've started using muscles that have not been doing their job, and they are not happy, especially at night if I roll over on my arm or position it the wrong way.

On Sunday my daughter asked me to relax my shoulders. I did. She asked me again and put her hands on my shoulders. I thought I was relaxed, and she thought otherwise. She promised to show me some breathing exercises.

More breathing exercises.

So Monday morning's massage couldn't have come at a better time. Between my shoulder and my attempts at breathing, I needed more help.

My massage therapist worked on my right shoulder and arm for one hour. A solid hour of massaging and working with muscles, large and small, in my shoulder and all up and down my arm.

We talked while she worked. I told her about the Buddha Chick class I'm taking and how I have been observing what I say to myself. I have always thought that if I had high expectations and pushed myself, I would be successful at everything I wanted to accomplish. I am the first, and often only, critic when I don't reach my goals.

We talked about changing our thinking, how we can actually re-map our minds. She mentioned that my right side is the "doing" side and my left side is the "being" side. She gently said that was only an observation...and we both knew how accurate it was.

My perennial thinking and doing are making my body tired and sore.

I shared the work I am doing with my breathing. We reviewed the anatomy around my "center" and how breathing aids the opening and relaxation of that area.

And my upper right arm released. I could feel the muscles shift. The muscles let go and my shoulder relaxed.

I don't think it was a coincidence that earlier that morning I made a commitment to stop the negative self-talk. Enough is enough. A few days before I wrote down the "weed" thoughts I say to myself and was surprised at how hard I am on myself.

I have always thought that if I could just push myself enough....

That what? I couldn't tell you. Just that I needed to stay tough to keep myself on track. To where? To achieve, to succeed, to be famous or rich? Because I was never satisfied. There was always the next thing to strive for, be it education or a job....

I just mis-typed "joy" instead of job.

Again with the tears. The side effect of all this release is that the flood gates have opened and the tears flow at the drop of a hat. I'd blame it on hormones, but those days are over. It's just me, feeling everything. At the end of a recent post Laura wrote that tears are good, healing.

Striving for joy. That is what being a Buddha Chick is all about. I thought if I worked hard enough for all the other things, the joy would follow.

It occurs to me now that maybe joy is where it all begins.

The breathing continues....

11 comments:

Joanne said...

I like the idea that joy is where it all begins. Maybe in a state of joy we see different things as accomplishments than we do in less happy states. Or we find a different satisfaction that the joy makes room for, and it feeds the joy. Kind of a way to hold on to it, maybe. I know that when I'm feeling joy, or happy, everything around me seems good, somehow :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Everything you share - I understand. I always have had similar thoughts. Being solo for a number of years I have always pushed. Guess I still do - but at this time I am at peace and enjoy all I do. You are on the right path. I use to hold my tears and kept them inside - no more. Tears are healing. Have a good day!!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Sharon,
Reading this brought grateful tears to my eyes. I am sooooo happy for you and this breakthrough! I can feel it, ease will be yours all the way around. And as I understand it, shoulder and arm issues (I have had my share of those!) are all about "carrying too much." Duh...

You and are kindred in that I, too, have always focused on achieving. When I started more inner work I realized that I did this to win my parent's attention and approval. I got a lot of attention when I "shone" or did good in school. To name this and release it has been huge for me, but I do still fall into that trap occasionally. I am learning to recognize it when it arises (or my husband reminds me!) and I can say no, not take something else on, or just do it more gently.

I am doing the Happy Chick dance for you today because you are one amazing woman....yes, you are...xo

Laura said...

Love.Love.Love.

You are so beautiful and I am so grateful and honored to say that you are my buddha chick sister and friend...You are healing and growing and I'm proud of you dear one.

gentle steps,
Laura

Carolynn Anctil said...

Be. Do. Have.

That's the key and much harder than it sounds.

Blessings,
Carolynn

teri said...

I know I am not budda chick -but I am right there with you!
Go budda chick group, massage therapist, yoga teacher, your wonderful daughter- they are all guiding you gently toward yourself. I am being blessed similarly right now in my life. Talk about tears- but alas I am not sharing these things on my blog. SO I say thank you to you- Thank you for giving this interestingly parallel time a voice for me- Blessings to you with all my heart-teri

Debra said...

Ah dear Sharon. You are now giving yourself the permission that you have always needed in order to just release. And there is so much power in that, so much power...

Why is it so difficult for us to just let go? What is it that we are holding on to so incredibly tightly? I think that part of this Buddha Chick journey has to do just as much with the stuff that we do not need in our lives, as what we do need. You are letting go, and in doing so, you are learning that you are worthy of peace and joy and serenity in your life. Gosh, we would think that that is something that should come naturally for us, like breathing, but think about how often we hold our breath!

So now we let the joy come first! Who knows what will follow?

Much love and big hugs to my Buddha sister,
Debbie

annie said...

In total agreement about joy.

mermaid said...

Wow, Sharon. I often find that parts of my body are tense when I am 'shoulding' myself, and am not allowing the emotions to be just as they are. I love how you are treating yourself kindly, and releasing all that you must have held onto inside for years. Let it all out. We can hold this with you.

Your shoulder and I both thank you for your tender care.

Cindy said...

What a beautiful post. Sometimes in certain poses, people cry in yoga class. My teacher says its common. When you open up your body, you open up your emotions.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of re-mapping our minds. I've had such a horrible couple of weeks with my mom's dementia that I would love to learn how to reframe my attitude toward this situation. When we cannot change things, we can change our attitude. Thanks for the reminder, and I do hope you are healing soon! Great break-through