Friday, December 3, 2010

Box Of Christmas

Ken and I had no ornaments for our first Christmas tree in 1975. We borrowed a set of lights and placed a few shiny nic-nacs among the boughs; I remember a silver label from a bottle of Brut aftershave. The next year we bought a few ornaments, and our collection has been growing ever since. As we had children, we started a box of ornaments for each child: baby's-first-Christmas ornaments, gifts from family and friends, decorations they made themselves and the ones made by siblings. On the outside of the box is a list for each year, each ornament, and where it came from. This week I carefully repacked my oldest son's box of ornaments so I can ship them to California. I took them all out of the box ~

I carefully layered bubble wrap in the box and tissue paper around each treasure ~
I found a box for shipping that just holds the ornament box and packing material to keep it safe. It's still waiting to be mailed because my car is still in the shop ~
Leo was none too happy that I took the box away from him, so he found someplace else to nap ~
Tomorrow a box of Christmas will be on its way from Maine to California.

11 comments:

teri said...

Oh! Yes this is what we did too when our kids got their first apartment! Unfortunately, I did not think to photograph their collections prior to handing them over. Ah well-your post was just a lovely reminder of the little things we can do feel connected with our adult children. AND I Love Leo! hugs- teri

Anonymous said...

A hard and brave thing to do!I'm sure he will treasure them! Still no car? Hmmmm.... That Leo looks fabulous!

Joanne said...

It's a little sad and wonderful at the same time, this collection. A life is shown in all of them, and now it's moving forward along with your son.

Leo's so cute. Our cat has a little round cat bed that she just loves. When we got her at the humane society, they sent the bed home with her because she was so attached to it, and she still is 5 years later. We line it with a nice warm blanket in the winter, and she practically lives in it. So my point is, does Leo have his own cat bed? If not, maybe Santa could bring him one :)

CaShThoMa said...

What a wonderful story, Sharon....touches my heart. The symbolism is powerful; a new family begins and the tangible holiday treasures that last from year to year are turned over to the grown child who starts anew.

My children have ornaments they made or bought; I should gather my son's ornaments together and do the same. Great idea.

CaShThoMa said...

I also feel the bitter-sweet on this activity loud and clear, Sharon. Oh, my. Time moves forward.

Cindy said...

Leo is too too cute. And I'm going to be packing some boxes of Xmas of my own soon. Sigh. Hope you get your car soon!

Laura said...

Such a sweet post of remembrances and love. And I think Leo looks quite content.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

You touch my heart with your post.l
Hopefully you have your car soon.

mermaid said...

You will be giving your son a precious gift. May this thoughtful act and letting go be received by a special heart and big smile.

Carolynn Anctil said...

What a beautiful tradition. What I want to know is, do you still have the silver label from the bottle of Brut? *smile*

Debra said...

Oh friend, that must have been very, very difficult for you to do...Loving and difficult. I do hope that you kept some special reminders for your tree. What a concrete way to acknowledge the beginning of your son's new life with his wife.

Sending big hugs from CA.

Love,
Debbie