Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sore Feet And A Grateful Heart

Today I took off walking to the nearest post office and convenience store ~ 3.5 miles from my house. I have wondered since we moved here if I could make the trek. It seemed like a good idea to test the theory today because I don't know when I will get my car back.

Yesterday I took my 1999 Subaru Legacy sedan into the mechanic for an oil change and a look at the higher-than-usual idle. Two hours later I got a call that there was something wrong with the car, though they didn't know what, and I shouldn't drive it any distance. Today they replaced the fuel injector, which needed to be replaced, but that didn't fix the problem with the idle. Tomorrow they will extend a camera into the engine to see if they can find the problem.

Meanwhile I am home without a car. I wanted to know what it would take to make the seven-mile trip to and from town under my own steam.

Turns out it takes about two hours round trip. I donned my heavy winter boots because I didn't know what conditions I might encounter; the worst part of the walk was the first/last half mile of dirt/mud road in front of my house. The boots are a bit big and I had on thin socks, so I had a blister within the first mile.

I took a moment to consider whether or not I should continue.

I decided to see my plans through. I found ways to safely navigate narrow shoulders on the main road. It was a typical overcast autumn day and I was comfortable in my jacket, hat, gloves, and scarf.

The last mile was the hardest, when I focused on just putting one foot in front of the other. My knees hurt, my thigh muscles were tight, and my feet were sore.

My gratitude after the first mile was that I could make the choice to continue the walk or not. I could have turned back at any point.

My gratitude in the last mile was for legs that take me where I want to go and carry me even when they're tired and sore.

Two weeks ago a friend shared with me something she has learned about herself. She was diagnosed with Lupus in June. She said it's important that she continue to feel she has choices ~ about treatment, how she takes care of herself, and what she can do.

I thought about that today, as I made the choice to keep walking, an ability that I don't take for granted. I thought about that as I realized that I can get out and about if I want to, whether or not I have a car.

I started walking because I wanted some things from the store. I kept walking because I wanted to know if I could finish what I started.

The answer is yes, I can.

9 comments:

Joanne said...

I would've loved making that trek. I'll bet you slept good last night, too, after all that walking. It's absolutely amazing how much of our life simply comes down to choices, and the wonder that we have the power to choose so many directions.

teri said...

Were you in Joanne in cahoots on your topic on your blogs? You both touched on "choices". Which must be what I need this morning.

I walk my 2 miles nearly everyday. So I know 7 is a haul. Seven in uncomfortable boots is a real challenge. Promise me you will look into better walking attire for you feet. Hugs- teri

Cindy said...

I am so inspired by your walk. I would have turned back at the first hint of a blister. The hardest thing for me to do is to get on my treadmill but I'm going to fit it in today.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Absolutely everything is a choice. That was a pretty big bite you took for your first trek, though. Whenever I hear the words "we don't know what it is' from a mechanic, my heart stops beating for a few seconds. I hope they locate the problem soon and discover it's just a 3 cent fuse.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Proud of you :) Car issue - my 2002
Aurora is making strange noises.
Service time tomorrow or Monday.
Choices - I know that and why is it - at times I forget.

Marie said...

Ah, you are "good." Remember, I only choose to walk in warm weather when I have someone to accompany me so I don't keep track of the time or the distance. I am glad you were able to escape on foot, although I'd suggest that I drive next time we go out....

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Yes, Sharon, I like your reminder that we need to remember we have choices. Thanks for sharing your story, and the trek sounds as if it blessed you with new insights.

CaShThoMa said...

Brave lady....glad you stuck with the original plan to make the trek to and from.

Hope your car is feeling "better" soon.

Laura said...

May each step of your life, labored or easy bring you closer to knowing that you DO have choices...maybe not the ones you expected to be presented with...but always always...presents, choices, gifts arise to meet your soul on your journey.

LOVE to you sweet friend!