Wednesday, December 29, 2010

In-Between

I went shopping today. I am not a big shopper but the after-holiday sales at JCPenney are always good. I bought new black corduroys.

I have a good pair of black corduroy pants. Or I did have. I wore them Christmas day but they didn't fit like I remembered. The problem wasn't the pants. Or not that pair. The problem is that I've been wearing that new-fangled style of corduroys that sit below my waist.

As much as I don't want to admit it, the newer style suits me. It's a better fit and any other style doesn't feel right, but I am in-between the old and the new. I haven't replaced all the old and still reach for them because that's what is familiar.

That's the theme of my life right now, replacing the old with new ~ from the clothes I wear to the emotions I feel to the things I say to myself.

The old is familiar but doesn't fit the way it used to.

The new is a better fit but still feels unfamiliar.

In-between. That's where I am as 2010 comes to an end.

6 comments:

mermaid said...

In between sounds like a kind way of trying to let go of the past and trying to trust the journey ahead.

Bravo.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I am right there beside you on this journey.
You shared so well. Blessings to you this day -

Carolynn Anctil said...

In-between is good. It means you're in transition and these things take time. I find that, the end of the year is always a good time to sort through what doesn't fit in our lives anymore. Love the analogy.

Laura said...

I know this place well Sharon dear...I think perhaps we are always in between...this is good, it means we are growing, and we have space in which to do so:)

Happy New Year Dear ONE...May your continue to discover, uncover and set roots into this place in between...this place of continual renewal!
xoxoxoxox

teri said...

Oh but of course- I was having the debate today to get rid of last of my malingering higher rise pants. (I did not.) I am very slow at letting go, even though the new pants fit so much better. You continue to bring to light things that are trying to stay hidden in the back of my mind... and I am not sure what I think about that. My word verification was bracing- oh dear.

Cindy said...

In between sounds like an okay place to be. I love the way the newer lower rise pants fit too;-)