Monday, December 6, 2010

Car Trouble

My car is still in the shop. I called Friday at 4:45 p.m. and the mechanic, who really runs the office and has taken my car on a special project, was trying a second coil just in case there was a problem with the first one. It's not the coil, so the plugs are getting the spark they need. It's no longer the fuel injector because he put in a new one of those.

He is currently in conversations with other mechanics and two Subaru dealers, and no one has seen this problem before.

So the next step is to "pull the valve" that isn't working properly. I don't know what that means other than one of the four valves won't hold the right amount of pressure unless he manually adds oil.

I told him to go ahead and do that because otherwise we won't know any more than we do now.

The car could go for lots more miles the way it is, which is idling rough and skipping, or it could conk out tomorrow. There's no way to know.

My mechanic is worried about putting all kinds of time into this and still not having an answer. I'm worried about that, too, but there is no alternative.

A new car, be it new-used or new-new, is not in the budget right now. My youngest son needs a car in Boston for at least a few more weeks; I'm glad he took my Outback with him and is not dealing with these issues with the Legacy right now.

Meanwhile, I am learning how much it doesn't matter that I'm not doing all that I usually do. I was supposed to see the doctor last week about my shoulder and have rescheduled for later this week. I had a list of errands a mile long and very little got accomplished this weekend with Ken's work van as our only vehicle. I have been car-pooling to my computer classes, and the last one of those is tomorrow night.

This experience has been a royal pain, but it's only inconvenient for me. I don't have a job outside the home I can't get to; I don't have kids who are stranded like I am. Three friends who are fairly local have offered to help if I need a ride, but the places I need to go are 25 miles and 45 miles away ~ not exactly a half hour commitment.

So here I sit, looking at the snow-covered landscape and thinking about all I want to be doing "out there." Instead I will put together the two quilts I have been working on because I've had lots of hours to sew.

I had hoped to post my favorite photos from my son's wedding this afternoon but the internet is acting wonky and taking forever to upload photos. I could go on and on about all the other things I can't get done...but I won't.

All is well and all is well and all shall be well ~

9 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Yes, dear one - all is well and all will continue to be well - in its time. Smile and a hug sent your way. May you be peacefu, happy, content, fulfilled, and at ease.

Patti Lacy said...

SHARON! You won't BELIEVE this! My car has also been in the shop--since Thursday. Being home-bound isn't so bad during freezing weather!

Love your attitude!!
Blessings,
Patti

Joanne said...

If it helps you feel any better, my car probably should be in the shop for a funny noise it's making, but I'm pushing my luck, reluctant to hear the problem and damages ...

Helen said...

From one Subaru owner to another...best wishes for a diagnosis this week that does not cause you to pucker. How wonderful you had the foresight to trade cars with your son!

In the meantime, keep a-quiltin' and keep on smilin'.

Anonymous said...

Oh I so know how that feels! But I doubt I coped with it as well!

teri said...

It seems the world is working to conspire to keep me home as well. I have a car that works however the weather is miserable. I will pour a pot of tea and work on photos. I hope they find out how to fix your car.

annie said...

I am inside and home a lot when winter comes b/c, like you, anywhere to go is quite a distance. I find though that I mind it the most when I actually can't leave than when I have the freedom and simply choose not to exercise it.

Today is the 3rd day of the child's flu and the Internet is wonky here too, so I am feeling rather thwarted in my ambitions, but it's just an illusion.

It's interesting though what removing "choice" does to outlook.

Laura said...

Indeed...ALL IS WELL...and precious time to simply BE, PLAY, EXPLORE has been granted. The Universe works in wondrous and surprising ways.

Cindy said...

Mercury retrograde is slowing everyone down this month. I'm glad you have time to quilt but hope the car problem is solved sooner than later.