Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Ice Storms And Newborns

The freezing rain started Saturday night and continued intermittently through Monday.  I took a few photos Monday, aware of the sound of cracking branches as I opened the door to look out.  The lights blinked throughout the day Monday, and I thought we had dodged a power outage until the house went dark late Monday night.  I was vacuuming and had a long list of things to do, including posting here, before I went to bed that were not possible in the dark without power. 

You see I was behind schedule because I've been preoccupied since Sunday morning when I got the call that my daughter-in-law was in labor.  I baked cookies and put lights on the tree and worked on Christmas presents but my mind has been elsewhere.  Time between phone calls was excruciatingly long.  That is life when you are three thousand miles away and events are moving more quickly than they can possibly be relayed to anyone who is not actually present.  So Ken and I waited, tried to keep busy, and forced ourselves not to think about what might be happening so far away....

The relief we felt when we got the call at 4:00, our time, Sunday afternoon is impossible to describe.  Kenneth Harold was here and he was okay!  He weighed in at 8 pounds and is 20 1/4 inches long.  Need I say how beautiful he is?  His entrance into the world was a bit rocky, but he is doing fine and he looks great in a hat.  His mom is doing well, too, and they expect to be home tomorrow or the next day.  Prayers answered.  Christmas wish granted.

Tonight we are still without the benefit of electricity from the power company, though we are fortunate to have a portable generator.  I managed for 15 hours before Ken got home from New Hampshire, who arrived bearing hot coffee and a strong arm to pull the start cord on the magic gasoline-powered machine that brings light and heat.  Certain electronic devices pull too much juice to be drafted into service, as in the stove, microwave, dishwasher, washer, and dryer.  So my daughter offered to make us dinner at her house ~ she made her own birthday dinner and it was delicious.  We hope for the return of power by morning but will get creative with the "electric" fry pan if it's not.

We are fully aware of our Christmas blessings this year.

I wish all the best of the season for you and yours ~

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This will be a Christmas you always remember! Sending my best wishes,
Karin

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

A new life
what joy
I smile
as it
will bring much joy to your life.
Stay warm, safe and
blessings and love sent your way
from the woods...

Cindy said...

Sharon so pleased for you. Meant to just pop in to say Merry Christmas and what a nice surprise to read this marvelous post. On the outside you did without but where it counts everything is there. Forever. Xox

Carolynn Anctil said...

Oh, Congratulations to everyone! What a lovely gift! I predict a trip in the future to visit your new grandson.

Blessings,
Carolynn

Pienosole said...

What joy! Congratulations and all the best to the whole family!

Laura said...

I am so happy for your family Sharon… a Grandmother, how wonderful my friend… our Belin was born in an ice storm… I think the change in barometric pressure brought on labor. I remember driving down the center of the main two lane highway from my parent's house (we were staying there because it was closer to the hospital)… the center was the only safe way to drive in the storm.

cauchy09 said...

aww, congrats, Grandma!! xoxo

RURAL said...

The very best Christmas gift to have arrive in your family...I hear you about the distance, but love finds a way.

Jen

Balisha said...

Congratulations, Grandma. Nothing more prescious than a new birth in the family.
Hope things warm up soon for you.
Hugs, Balisha