Friday, December 13, 2013

Venture Capital

I ventured out of the stillness on Tuesday.  Our snow-covered dirt road was nicely packed down and easy to travel.

Then I hit pavement...what a mess.  The temperature hovered near freezing, so the sand and salt kept the middle of each lane clear while the slushy snow along the edges challenged the tires.  The main road was better in some places and worse in others.

I had a couple stops to make before I got on the interstate headed south.  I waited for the mail to be delivered before I left home so I was already two hours behind; I wasn't traveling on a deadline but I wanted to get where I was going before dark.

Then the skies darkened and big wet flakes started to fall.  I had stopped to buy a book in Brunswick.  I watched where I stepped on the uneven brick walkway and thought that this experience was good for me.  Too often I opt for the warmth and safety of home instead of venturing out.  I need to continue to drive in all kinds of weather to keep my skills sharp and my senses tuned to accommodate changing conditions.

The interstate was slick.  The speed limit had dropped to 45 and state troopers were a presence.  Most people were driving carefully, so I hunkered down for the long haul in the right lane.

Thirty miles down the road the snow stopped.  Night had fallen.  I had good directions and a general idea of where I was going.  I made a pit stop at a rest area and felt confident that all would be well.

It was.  I pulled into the hotel in Dover, New Hampshire at 5:00.  Ken was on a job and said I should come over for a couple days.  I hadn't been to that area of NH just across the Maine border, and I had no reason not to go.

Dover is another mill town that hit the same rough patch many New England towns did when the manufacture of textiles and shoes moved south or overseas.  I talked to a guy who grew up in Dover and has had a yarn shop there for eleven years.  He sees a resurgence.  I would agree.  I complimented his shop and took in the sights of Dover ~
Cocheco River flows through Dover
Converted mill provides commercial and residential space
Painted mural runs the length of this building
Shops in Dover
A variety of businesses
Looking toward downtown
I spied two policemen on horseback
Waiting for the "walk" signal to cross

5 comments:

Balisha said...

I wish I had more courage on icy roads. One year I lost contol of my car and couldn't stop sliding. There were many cars in the ditch and parked in the driving lanes. No damage to my car, but it left me with a fear of losing contol like that again. It was sucn a helpless feeling.
I have to gather up my courage while Joe is in the hospital. We live an hour away and many country roads to get there.I dread it already.

Your little trip looked so interesting. I love to check out new places. Police on horseback...I haven't seen that in a while.
Have a nice weekend.
Balisha

Carolynn Anctil said...

I hate driving around here in the winter. Stay safe and enjoy your visit. It looks like a lovely town.

RURAL said...

After driving home the other day in a snow storm, I have to commend you for going. It's not always our driving, but the impatience of others that worries me.

What a cute little town.

Jen

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I know longer drive on icy roads.
Your area - a lot of snow and ice.
Today it is raining and in the 40's...

Things that make me happy said...

What charming photos -- looks like a movie-set town! And wow, I sure admire your adventurous spirit in driving on the highway, in the snow, by yourself. I don't mind highway driving -- in good weather -- but the wintery weather terrifies me. Here in Michigan, you'd think people would know how to drive in snow, but some people take foolish changes and go way too fast. Another writer-friend of mine share this phobia. As she says, "If it's snowing, I'm not going!' :-)