Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Transition Happens

I paid a visit to Ruby today.  There have been several showings of the property that includes her cottage.  She has made peace with uncertainty - she may continue to live in her home into next year, or she may be asked to move at any time if the property sells.  Ruby is feeling healthy and strong, taking life day by day.  She is taking time to assess her belongings, deciding what to keep and what she can part with.  The main reason for my visit today was to take photos of a paper mache manger scene she made years ago and is now prepared to give away.  I was pleased she asked me and tickled to see the detail of the characters she created with her own hands ~





Isn't that great?  I will have the photos printed for her.  She says photos will take up less space than the actual scene.

It's not easy for me to think of Ruby living someplace else.  She loves her cottage, deck, garden area, and surrounding property where she walks her dog Kelly.  Today she raised a topic I have been able to avoid until now ~ she wants me to consider if I would take Kelly to live with me if for some reason the dog cannot continue to live with Ruby.  I sidestepped the issue and said that I would certainly work with her family to make sure Kelly was well taken care of.  Ruby said not to give her an answer right now.

I love Ruby and would do anything that I can to help her...but I don't want to be a dog owner.  Kelly is a sweetheart - I will have to take photos of her next time I visit.  Today she repeatedly sat at my feet and gave me her paw, almost like she knew what Ruby was saying.

Ruby has seen her doctors regularly since she was hospitalized this summer, and the latest reports on her health are excellent.  There is no reason to believe that Kelly will need to live elsewhere because Ruby has been clear that she will not move to a place where Kelly is not welcome.  Life happens, situations evolve, and over time minds can change.  Ruby and I are always completely honest with each other, so I do not want to give her the impression that I could take Kelly under any circumstances.  I am sure the topic will come up again.

Ruby is a brave lady.  She is willing to look at the changes in her life straight on.  I admire that.  In some ways she is handling the potential changes better than I am.  That's a subject for another day....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her work is lovely, charming. And you're a good friend.

Balisha said...

What a lovely manger. You've been such a good friend. I know Ruby appreciates that...and that is why she asked you. I'm sure she will understand your feelings about the dog.I hope you both can find an answer to her problem.There's someone out there that will give the dog a good home.
Have a nice day...Balisha

Carolynn Anctil said...

Ruby really seems to have it all together. I'm sure Ruby appreciates your honesty with her, in addition to your many kindnesses. What a beautiful compliment that she would choose you to entrust the care of her dog to. Hopefully, she won't have to part with her companion, on top of everything else she has to contend with. Wishing for the best possible outcome for all concerned.

The nativity scene is really darling. She's done an amazing job on it.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

You are a very special friend to Ruby.
I love her manger.
As I read
I think
is this going to be me
in the not to far future.
Hope I can stay here in the woods
with Miss Callie
until I just disappear from the planet earth...

Laura said...

blessings to your dear friend Ruby on this transition… you are so kind Sharon.