Sunday, December 29, 2013

Winter Weary

Baby Kenneth and his mom went home from the hospital on Christmas Day.  Both are doing well.

We were without power for 60 hours.  It returned at noon on December 26, which meant we had a different kind of Christmas this year.  The generator kept us in lights, heat, and running water during the day.  The silence at night complemented the total darkness.  Just one week after the solstice, we are already weary of winter ~
Snow on the roof of the shed
Ice-covered evergreens
Ice crystals gleam
Blue sky background
Sunday night the snow returns
The meteorologists say tonight's storm is fast moving and will drop several inches in just a few hours.

My youngest traveled back to Boston tonight, where the warmer temperatures mean rain instead of snow.  Before he left he asked if I was alright, that I seemed sad.  I am alright, and I am sad.  The two are not mutually exclusive.  It feels as if this year has gone on forever ~

4 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

I know how you feel. Last year we were blasted by winter and it felt like it would never leave. This winter feels mild, in comparison.

All the best for a promising start to your New Year.

Helen said...

New year coming soon...wishing for the near future-- days of sunshine, warmer temperatures, melting snow.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.” Apache Blessing

Balisha said...

I feel like the year has gone on forever too. It was my worst year...so it has to get better. Sorry for not writing something uplifting and cheerful, but life isn't always that way. I do wish you a Happy New Year...hope it it better for all of us.
Balisha

teri said...

This whole year felt like it needed a generator to me. I am thankful winter is not as serious here in SW Virginia. SO glad the little one arrived safely and is home. Blessings AND thanks for the movie tips. Are those movies all "on" Netflicks or do you order them from Netflicks? xoxo Teri