Thursday, May 22, 2008

When in Doubt, Paint Something

When we bought this house we knew the entire inside would need to be painted, despite the fact that it was newly constructed. The family room was Creamsicle Orange, the kitchen Apple Green, our bedroom Celery Green, and the living room Daffodil Yellow (which was the color I wanted in the kitchen). Every other room needed at least one more coat of paint because there were streaks and mismatched tints that needed to be covered. What we didn't know was that most of the walls would need to be spot sanded and/or patched in places that were low or lumpy. Some of the ceilings also needed another coat or two, not to mention all of the woodwork. There was a lot of work to do.

We were optimistic. The day after closing we bought many gallons of paint and started right in with energy and gusto. Two weeks later I hadn't even started on the woodwork. We decided that the laundry room, which had been left white, would have to wait.

Well, I have decided it's time to tackle the laundry room. When I learned that my youngest son would be in Florida this coming week-end, it made sense to tear things apart in his absence. This is also a good time to test my new attitude about when children come to visit: I cannot always change my plans. My oldest son said he's coming home, and he knows painting will be underway. He's okay with that. We will see if I can stick to my guns and keep working....

Today I took the paint we bought over a year ago back to Home Depot for a professional "shake." I've done loads of laundry, as if we'll run out of socks and undies in the next three days.

For me, painting is therapeutic. A different part of my brain kicks in to give the thinking part a break. I can change the look of a room with just a roller and some elbow grease. Any apprehension about the end result is unwarranted. A friend's mother said philosophically, "It's only paint. You can always change it again if you want to."

The space will be more pleasant when I'm done, and it will feel good to get one more room finished.

No comments: