Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve

Saturday evening Ken and I watched the movie The Family Man, which stars Nicholas Cage and Tea Leoni. It has become a holiday classic for us. Similar to It's a Wonderful Life, the premise is the question "what if life was different." The setting is New York City on Christmas Eve, and Cage's character, Jack, is a high-powered executive. Courtesy of an angel, played by Don Cheadle, Jack gets a chance to see the life he could have had if he had made a different decision 13 years earlier. In Jack's dreamlife he is married to Kate, Leoni's character. There is humor, romance, cute kids, and the realization that decisions have consequences.

There are certain scenes that will always be funny. There are sentimental moments that touch me every time.

It's a fantasy that any of us can ever know what might have been. One decision leads to another which shapes the next...and so on. That is how a life is constructed. Any change along the way would result in the creation of a different life.

Christmas Eve represents a time of decisions and events that have shaped my life ~ faith, love, birth, and death. The day holds memories of ultimate joy and deepest sadness.

In the movies, Christmas Eve provides the perfect setting for looking back and dreaming beyond. Historically, it is a time for perfect love and great miracles. Realistically, Christmas Eve is a time for reflection, gratitude, and hope.

May all of us find peace this Christmas Eve. God bless us everyone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon - I have never seen this movie, but will have to put it on my list. I can see how it makes you reflective and thankful - I often think about the decisions I've made in my life, and how different my life would now be if I had made different decisions.

My husband road tripped to Brooklin Maine yesterday to bring my parents down to CT for the holidays - they were unable to drive themselves at the last minute, and it wouldn't be the same without them. I'm looking forward to their arrival this evening.

May we all count our blessings during this holiday. There is a lot to be thankful for. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Sharon,
I hope you're enjoying your Twelve Days of Christmas. My tradition is to see A Christmas Carol every year, in one form or another -- even if it's "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol." Like "The Family Man" movie, "A Christmas Carol" and "It's a Wonderful Life" show that our actions do have consequences, that our lives DO make a difference.

And thanks for your friendship!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Hi Sharon,
My first visit to your site. I like your musings. Followed the trail from Cindy LaFerle's site, a dear friend of mine. Seems you and I like lots of the same things, writers, etc. You are a woman in transition—me too. My baby just went off to college and am getting the hang of empty nesting. So far so good! In fact, it's safe to say I like it!

May your job search go better in 2009. Always a challenge. I appreciate your candor.

Be well and Happy New Year.
Blessings,
Jan

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to see the movie you mentioned -- will add it to my list. I did watch "It's A Wonderful Life" on Christmas Eve. I never tire of it!