Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Sometimes A Hug Is Enough

I have a friend who is going through a tough time. I don't know the details because I haven't asked.

Two weeks ago I received her Christmas card. She shared that life had been difficult but that things had taken a turn for the better. I gave her a call a week later to see if we could plan to get together. Things had taken a turn for the worse and she was in no condition to talk. She asked me to call her back after Christmas.

Today I was on my way home after hours of errands. Something told me to give my friend a call. I asked if I could stop by to give her a hug, and she said that would be okay.

She walked across her kitchen to meet me. I didn't plan to stay, then she made me a cup of tea. When I asked what was going on with her, tears filled her eyes. We quickly moved to talk of other topics. We shared thoughts about things that mattered today and laughed about things that were funny.

It may be weeks or months before I see her again. I may never know the extent of the pain she is feeling. Many years ago she was there for me when there was no way she could understand the depth of my sadness. I just needed to know she was there for me, just as I am there for her now. Sometimes a hug is enough. Sometimes it's all we have to offer.

3 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Your caring presence over tea, shared moments and laughs likely made her feel less alone with whatever pain she is going through. Something must have tipped you off that a phone call was in order.

Anonymous said...

You're a good friend, hugs are what we live for aren't they. Happy New Year Sharon!

Anonymous said...

Someone who is special to me has a definition for 'friend':

"A friend is your needs fulfilled."

On that day, at that moment, a hug, small talk, and laughter over a cup of tea was fulfilling. A friend who listens to the voice in the stillness and steps into our lives at the right moment is truly a blessing.