Monday, December 22, 2008

Welcome Winter


The thermometer reads 14 degrees. Snow on every surface, there's a lot of clearing out to do.

With the skill of a sculptor Ken will carve out the driveway and walkways. His tools - the snow blower, shovel, and broom. He took this week off work, so there is plenty of time for such winter chores. We spent yesterday watching the storm from inside, grateful we had no other place to be. We brought the tree in last night, and it stands ready for decoration.

We have goodies to eat and ingredients ready to make more. I went to a cookie swap last week, so there are different treats to taste as well.

I learned long ago to slow down at this time of year. It takes special focus for me to stay present. It takes little effort for me to feel grateful.

There are others to remember. My stepfather had a stroke two weeks ago. My elderly friend in town slipped on ice a week ago and broke her ankle. I have more than one friend with a child in trouble.

Today I have Christmas cards to get in the mail. There will be no letter included. Some years a simple greeting is best, and this is one of those years.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the peace, the winter-white beauty of where you live. (The photo is beautiful.) My son arrived home safely from Chicago, between blizzards, and I'm looking forward to family time and hosting friends at home. Wishing you a peaceful holiday with blessings to count. Merry Christmas from Michigan to Maine!

Anonymous said...

Getting past the solstice is the first step toward spring. I don't love winter as I once did. Perhaps if I had nowhere I had to go, I could recapture that?

Merry Christmas from Canada!

Anonymous said...

Peaceful. Simple. Warm & cozy. Thoughts and acts of kindness. Love of family near & far.

Merry Christmas from south Georgia.

Anonymous said...

Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas/Holiday! It's nice to have some snow eh?