Wednesday, December 17, 2008

No Signal

No digital signal to either television. The networks ran another test during tonight's local news to show viewers if their television is "digital ready." No luck. I will make another call tomorrow to ask about what we do now...aside from installing satellite, which is an easy option when I win the lottery.

No job offer from my most recent interview. I got the letter today, which means it arrived in yesterday's mail, which I didn't pick up until today. The letter was dated Monday. That didn't take long. Disappointment. Embarrassment.

No more job updates. I thought if I shared my job search it would make me feel better. It has helped to have support from family, friends, and readers. It hasn't helped to repeatedly relay the disappointing news that I didn't get a job I wanted.

No idea what comes next. Oh, I have plenty to do. I always have something to do ~ that has never been a problem for me. I finish up one round of projects to be ready to take a job, only to start another round when I don't get an offer. What else do I need to do to be ready to go back to work? I'm missing something.

No signal received. Just static.

8 comments:

MMH said...

How discouraging. But what a good post you've written.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. These are tough times for everyone looking for work of any kind. Keep the faith. The right position will come along...

CaShThoMa said...

Certainly frustrating for you. Job hunting is daunting these days; my husband has been searching for months. However, I hear you loud and clear. It's unsettling not to have a clear view of what you'll be doing. Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the job. The climate can't be helping these days.

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I remember going through similar feelings during the recession of 1982.

I'm hopeful things will work out for you, too, once this economy starts rolling again. My advice: Just don't take the letter personally! And keep on looking.

jd881 said...

The climate is certainly not helping. Many job advertisements get hundreds of submissions for one or two positions. You are not alone.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add another comment. Your post reminds me of the crisis we journalists are facing (all over the country) as newspapers and magazines fold or cut back staff right and left. These are tough times for us, as we print journalists must reinvent our careers. Meanwhile, there are a lot of questions hanging in the air, and few answers. Your "no signal" expresses that very well.

Kristen said...

I'd be tempted to fall into cliches - "it could be worse" or "at least _____ is going well" or "aren't you glad it's not _______" - but I can't do it without thinking about those clearance cards available at discount stores.

What overwhelmed me after reading this post was my want to fix it. To come up with a solution, and have it all work out. I can only imagine how you've felt in the last few years, watching me spit and sputter and twirl.

'tis the gift to come down where we ought to be...and when we find ourselves in the place just right...

When true simplicity is gained,
to bow and to bend, we will not be ashamed,
to turn, turn, will be our delight,
by turning, turning we come 'round right.

I imagine you turning, and trying things on for size before moving on. Turning makes us dizzy, and can be uncomfortable, but it's a part of the process.

(damn. I thought I could get away without saying something about the "process.")

oxoxoxo