Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Cloudy Tuesday

This afternoon I learned the status of the job I applied for three weeks ago. I didn't get the job because, after all was said and done, the position wasn't created. The idea, which I helped develop, was for the non-profit organization that represents social workers to have a legislative advocate work with the organization's board, and the membership, to shape the legislative agenda that social workers in the state say they want. Then the person would have worked with state legislators on behalf of social workers and their clients.

I am disappointed because I wanted the job but also because I think the work is important.

Organizational change is hard. It takes leadership, vision, patience, and persistence. Often it's easier for someone on the outside to see what's possible and what's necessary for the possibilities to become reality. The people on the inside hold all the cards, and they decide who to let in or keep out. I am weary of being kept out.

When I was a teen-ager, I told my father that I wanted to be a boss someday. I wasn't being arrogant. I know how to treat people, and I know how to get a job done. While I attend to details, I can see the big picture and plan a course of action. I think it's time for me to put my talents to work, which may mean that I need to start working for myself. I do not know what shape that may take, but I'm putting it out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you didn't get the job. Like you, I have spent time picturing myself in a prospective new job only to not be offered the position. It's a real loss -- the loss of a dream, at least temporarily -- and your reaction is quite understandable.

I look to reading future posts as you discern how you want to use your talents.