Thursday, July 31, 2008

How We Get Where We Want To Be

Last Friday, after our meeting with my new financial advisor, Ken and I had a chance to walk the streets of Portland. We don't often get down that way together, so we took advantage of the opportunity.

There is a bookstore where I always stop when I am in that part of the city. I walked in the door, took a few steps to the left, and found myself in front of the shelves of poetry. There, perched on a stand, was a book of poetry by the principal who first hired me to teach. I was speechless. I knew he had been writing since before I met him. Years ago I ran into him at a track meet and learned he was returning to graduate school for a Master of Fine Arts degree. According to the back of the book, he earned that degree and now teaches creative writing and American literature at a high school. I stood there and marveled at his name on the cover.

I know bits and pieces of his story. I know it wasn't easy for him to return to school. I know it was what he always wanted and that he is now doing what he loves to do ~ write poetry and teach. It took years of hard work. It meant he had to face hard truths and make tough decisions. I am proud to know him, and I hope he's happy.

I bought an autographed copy of his book. I enjoy his writing, but I bought his book for a reason larger than his poems. I bought the thin volume to keep on my desk to remind me of what is possible. I bought it because it is a symbol of what happens when a person figures out how to get where they want to be, whether or not anyone else believes that it's possible.

I started this post with a question for the title. I've since changed that question to a statement. I know how I will get where I want to be: with hard work, facing the truth, making tough decisions, and believing that it's possible.

No comments: