Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Painting Progress

One project finished ~





And a second project is ongoing ~


Tuesday: Today I finished the dresser I started working on several days ago. My daughter is pleased with the results, and that's what matters. I kept trying to get the smoothest possible finish on the top, and today I called it good . The white ceramic knobs are the perfect complement to the Man on the Moon paint and add a classy finishing touch.
Monday a week ago: Now if the painting-of-the-railing was moving along as well, I would be a happy woman. With two days drying time allowed after the power washing, I pre-primed all the bare spots early last week. The next day I planned to lightly sand a few spots and start painting...until I realized that half the railing had not been cleaned. Hmmmm. Seems that the power-washer project director decided that the entire railing did not need his attention. That's odd since the painting project director was explicit about what was required so she could continue with her part of the project, the part that protects the wood and makes the railing usable for years to come. Several hours later the railing was completely prepped - and ready for paint another day.
Wednesday: Enter the hottest and most humid day of the summer, a good day to work on the dresser in the shade....
Thursday: The weather was agreeable, and two sections of railing (see photo above) got their long-awaited coat of primer-and-paint-in-one. The results did not disappoint - the ultra white satin finish is worth all the clean up I have to do (on myself because I am a messy painter and anything with primer in it sticks like glue). The downside is that each section takes two hours to paint.
Friday dawned cloudy and warm, the desired meteorological combination for staining a deck. So Ken took advantage of the weather and gave the deck a coat on Friday and again on Saturday, which required another 48 hours to dry.
Still to come: And painting took a backseat again....Until tomorrow when I will persevere and start the day early with paint brush in hand. There will be a bar-b-que to celebrate the completion of this project, sometime this summer, and it will be a happy time because there will be cocktails and dessert selected to meet the specifications of the painting project director....

No comments: