Monday, July 21, 2008

Rainy Days and Mondays

There were thunderstorms Friday and Saturday and periods of steady rain yesterday. More rain last night and today. And it's a Monday, which means it's time to start another week.

Yesterday morning had a unique start ~ my daughter and I attended a 9:40 a.m. showing of Mamma Mia! and we loved it! The movie is a virtual feast of color, music, dancing, singing, scenery, and fun. Some critics have said it has too much singing. Really? It's a musical! Meryl Streep is fabulous. She sings, dances, and looks fantastic ~ a great role model for women my age. The movie made me want to bounce on my bed, or at the very least dance around the house to upbeat music.

I came home yesterday to Ken making cookies, which was a surprise. He said he wanted to make the house smell good. Okay by me, with a full cookie jar to boot. He can bake and cook, but he rarely does. Ken always sifts the flour so he gets different results than I do.

For two people who have been together as long as Ken and I have, I am still surprised by how differently we approach things. We come at issues and projects with different strategies and expectations. Over the years we have done our best problem solving while we were doing home improvements because we had to work together; even as disagreements arose we had to work them out or the project wouldn't get finished. I'm thinking about this now because we're at a point where we could use a good project to get some things worked out. It's not that anything is wrong. It is that things feel unsettled and uncertain.

Maybe it's me, or maybe it's him, or maybe it's us. Hopefully it will pass. In any event, today is a rainy day and a Monday, and I have plenty of inside projects to keep me busy. One foot in front of the other....

No comments: