Monday, October 6, 2008

Harvest Supper '08

The 23rd annual Harvest Supper for the county Democrats was last evening. It was inspiring to be in a room full of like-minded people who are excited about the possibilities for the future of our state and our country.

Before supper there was time to mill about and meet neighbors ~

As well as time to check out the 120+ items available in the silent auction ~

Then it was time for dinner and speeches by local and statewide candidates ~
I will be interested to hear how many people attended the supper, which is one of the two largest fundraisers for the county held each year. I recognized a few people and met a few more. We all had name tags, so I tried to put faces with names of people I have heard mentioned or may have talked to on the phone.
It was the first time I've taken part in a silent auction. Individuals and businesses donated items, services, and gift cards. On a slip of paper beside each item you write your name and bid - and then someone else can leave a higher bid. You know when the auction will close and wait until the last minute to leave what you hope will be the highest bid on your favorite item(s). I had the highest bid on two items: a coffee punch card for 17 cups of coffee at one of my favorite bakeries and a beautiful stoneware platter that I have to forget I have until Ken gives it to me for Christmas.
I donated a basket with four jars of bruschetta toppings and a bag of bagel chips. I valued it at $10.00 and several people bid throughout the evening. The highest bid was $15! Well, the money is for a good cause.
*Leo update: As I write this post, Leo is sitting on my lap. We invited her in to watch a movie with us Saturday night, and she was so well behaved that we have invited her in to visit since then. She still camps out in the garage to eat and sleep. She looks better every day. Someone mentioned there's a sign for a lost cat in the next town over, so I will check that out today. Someone else has circulated an email with Leo's photo to everyone she knows in my town. If no luck, I will call the animal shelter in the city where my daughter lives to see if they will check Leo over. Then we will look for a good home for her. She is a real sweetie who loves to be with people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whenever I think of New England, I imagine events such as the one you describe in this post. What a wonderful slice of Americana at its best. And hey -- Leo looks adorable. If I lived in Maine, I'd come and get him!