Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Phone Calls

The phone did ring this morning. It was the postal clerk from the town with the invisible posters for the lost cat. She apologized for taking so long to call me back, but it took her this long to find a poster with a phone number. I thanked her and wrote down the number. Then I waited until after 9:00 a.m. to call because my mother always said, "Don't phone someone before 9 a.m. or after 9 p.m." I left a message on an answering machine. Now I wait some more.

I have another phone call to make. I heard from another store owner that she is interested in learning more about my product. I've stopped by her store twice and missed her both times. Honestly, I had never been in a store called "a sensuality boutique." It is a modestly advertised second-floor store on a busy street in Portland that sells books, gifts, toys, and accessories for adult women. I emailed the owner this week, and she got right back to me. She would like to talk to me about the product and price, which I'm willing to negotiate at this time because I have an inventory that I would like to get "out there." I will call her later today.

I have not gotten a phone call about the job I interviewed for a week ago. It doesn't help to keep rethinking what I said and could have said and shouldn't have said. Second-guessing is never helpful. Things played out the way they were meant to. Interviews are artificial situations that do not really give a true picture of the person who wants the job. Some people are able to put their best selves out there under stress, and some of us struggle through hoping that the interviewer will see some glimmer of what we have to offer. Again, I will wait some more.

I need to make two calls to let companies know I do not want them to share my information with other companies. New privacy policies went into effect October 1. I have to call a credit card company to confirm what I have to do to keep 0% interest on a transferred balance - just want to make sure we have the same understanding so I don't get zapped in January because of some fine print.

Last evening Ken called the credit card company to take the hold off our account [the card that was in his wallet that he left at the post office where the postal clerk called the company to let them know the card was safe]. Well, there was miscommunication there because the company cancelled our account. They are sending us new cards...with a new account number...again. We went through this with this card just months ago when our LLBean credit card changed from this company. We need to apply for the new LLBean card, which I was on the fence about until I wanted to order an item and remembered that I no longer have free shipping.

Well, I've put off vacuuming long enough. I haven't wanted to interrupt Leo, who is napping quietly behind the couch. I will wait a bit longer but at some point I have to make all that noise. If Leo is like my daughter's cats, she will not take kindly to the racket and make a beeline for the furthermost corner of the house. Leo and I have come to an understanding and found a way to co-exist. I don't want the vacuum cleaner to come between us now.


Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are perking along! It's hard to search for a job- such a dance of who wants what and when! Leo sounds pretty secure behind the couch.

CaShThoMa said...

Leo sounds like a lovely cat; hope you find the owner; your blog about running all over town(s) trying to track down the flyer that gave the name and number of the person with the missing cat was intense. I wonder if Leo indeed found you for a reason.

Best regards.

Anonymous said...

We once had a stray cat camp out on our porch, in the coldest February on record. For weeks I searched for his owner, and finally, broke down and let him inside. He joined our family of three other cats (then) and remained until he passed away five years later. He turned out to be one of my favorite pets. Maybe Leo is meant to be yours, too?