Friday, October 17, 2008

Leo, Sarah, and Me

That's Leo Tomcat to you and me. Those of you who thought Leo was a male were right. And not a young male but a mature male of about 12 years old, as close as the vet could figure. Leo weighed in at 7 lbs. 3 oz. The good news is that he doesn't have any feline diseases. The bad news is that the cloudy left eye has a cataract, although you would never know he can't see out of that eye. He needed only a rabies shot and an injection of antibiotics for whatever he might have picked up while he was braving the wild.

The trip to the vet was an adventure in itself. Leo and I drove from our house to my daughter's, and he meowed and hissed the whole trip. My daughter put her cats in the basement and gave Leo the run of her house, where there was so much to see and do! Time to go to the vet, and Leo didn't like that trip in the carrier any better than the first; he meowed loudly until we got into the vet's office. Then there was stunned silence, not so much as a peep from Mr. Leo. We figured he remembers going to the vet and knew what was in store. He behaved beautifully for the vet. Back in the car, Leo returned to his old self and serenaded us all the way home.

Leo is officially our cat now. When a person pays the vet bill and tolerates the wrath that said vet visit incurs, that person owns the cat. Welcome to the family, Leo.

The other noteworthy thing that happened around here yesterday was that Sarah Palin visited Bangor, Maine (pronounced BANG -gor). From her introductory remarks you'd think that all Mainers wear overalls and carry a gun. There were about 4,000 people at the rally, and I hope that's the extent of her support in this state. I am ready for the election to be over and for Sarah Palin to disappear from the news cycle.

I had a chance to talk with my good friend who lives in the Southwest last night. She does the most beautiful job of keeping friends updated with photos of the trips they take, photos that are clearly labeled and organized. I need some lessons on how to use the computer to organize and archive photos, so that's one of the things on our to-do list the next time we get together.

Do you remember when I wrote about applying for the Whirlpool Innovation Grant? Well, I didn't win a prize, but this week Whirlpool sent me a stain removal marker and a certificate of participation. I felt like a third-grader who was out in the first round of the school spelling bee.

Job Update: One letter and one no-email-no-phone-call response about the two jobs I most recently applied for. No go. Not gonna happen. Here's the thing: It would be so much easier to get a job than to try and figure out what to do next on my own. I am hungry for a mandated routine, a list of things to do somewhere besides here, people who share ideas, and a paycheck. If I give up on wanting that, I need to figure out what I want instead. Kate left a link in a comment about the parable of the trapeze, letting go of one to hang in the void while waiting for the next one. It is an apt description of transition and fits how I'm feeling right now. It' s worth a read and can be found at http://www.earthstewards.org/ESN-Trapeze.asp.

The journey continues....

6 comments:

Kristen said...

welcome to the family indeed! (any cat who has his own category is in it for the long haul. Well done Leo!)

(my cats would, per their behavior yesterday, welcome another visit from him. They ignored treats to explore the house, and Izabelle could be seen licking the tub where Leo must have rubbed up against it. She made it clear and well known that she didn't like being stuck in the basement, but based on how she's sitting next to me purring right now, I'd say I've been forgiven.)

(kudos on the prize - can you spell "cheesy" for the group?)

CaShThoMa said...

Leo is one lucky cat. I'm glad you decided to keep him. Wouldn't it be interesting to know his past? This is when I really wish animals could tell us in a language we understand. But, that's they mystery I guess.

Putting the pieces together... said...

Yay for Leo! You will have lots of fun in your new home. Just keep the cat hair to a minimum. Welcome!

Anonymous said...

We keep ending up with cats. Never on purpose.

I am finding my life taking on more of a routine and schedule (moreso if I get the job this Tuesday) but I don't like it over much. I didn't mind the time that came with leaving teaching and was starting to organize it just to my liking. But when you want a job than nothing else with suffice.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you have a new companion for the journey. Leo sounds like his energy belies his age. We should all be so feisty!

Keep the faith, Sharon.

Anonymous said...

I loved the link to the article about transitions. Very appropros right now for me and, I think, for our country.