Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Of Railings and Writing

Front view ~ painted railings, posts, and boards under the deck and eaves:

Side view ~ finished outside painting ~ priceless:

We had a glorious fall day yesterday. Sunshine and warm temperatures. I didn't expect such a day, and I took advantage of the gift to tackle what remained of the outside painting. Success! I was able to finish the vertical posts and horizontal boards beneath and eaves and deck. All of the railings and backs to the steps have also been painted. It took me four months ~ I have finished the outside painting. I felt such a sense of accomplishment last night.

Last week my latest post went up at 50-something moms blog: Go Pink: Join An Army of Women. I wrote about my first mammogram experience and the opportunity to join Dr. Susan Love's database of volunteers for breast cancer research.

I haven't been posting as regularly on that site because I wasn't sure how I fit in there. I had a chance to talk with one of the editors Friday afternoon, which helped me clarify in my own mind why I will continue to be a contributor. It matters to me that I am on the right track. She said my perspective will come through whatever I write, and that's what they are looking for. I think I have been laboring too hard over every article. I want to loosen up and enjoy the writing more. My original goal was to write for myself and the women who read that blog; I have no obligations beyond that and didn't think I wanted to write for a wider audience.

This week I am rethinking that. I am curious about how women make money with their writing. I have started investigating where there are places I could write and get paid. It wouldn't amount to much at the beginning, but there may be a way to start. It's just an idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean! Great house!

Anonymous said...

Your house looks lovely (and nicely painted)!

Writing is the only creative outlet that suits me given my complete lack of crafty skills (including painting!) How great would that be to combine interests with the opportunity to make money (even if only a little to start)!