Monday, September 28, 2009

Click. Click Click.

Usually I am a patient person.

I will wait while a toddler puts on their own socks.

I will wait on hold until I get the information I need.

I will wait in line until it's my turn.

The one place I consistently show a lack of patience is with computers.

Internet Explorer does not respond. Click. The page will still not open. Click Click. The "end task" box opens. Click. The task has still not ended. Click Click. The "send report" box opens. Click Click Click.

Over the course of the last several days I've had a problem with my laptop ~ Internet Explorer has "not responded" on a regular basis.

I ran a virus scan. Still problems.

My husband downloaded Internet Explorer 8. Still problems.

We ran the program to defrag the hard drive. Still problems.

Meanwhile I was clicking away, running up any number of "end task" lines in the box and "not sending" any number of reports to Microsoft. Click Click.

Yesterday my daughter came for brunch ~ she brought bagels. We had a good time visiting and catching up. I mentioned that my laptop was acting up and I wasn't sure what to do next.

She sat at the kitchen table with my laptop for an hour, checking each program that was running, installing updates, and clearing out programs that were running in the background. Each time she started or ended a task, she clicked once...and waited. Then she took the next step...and waited.

I have never been able to use that kind of restraint with a computer, but I saw the results of her patience. Things ran more smoothly and it was easy to see what still needed to be done.

When she left I tried again to connect to a site that had kicked me off earlier in the day. It wouldn't connect, but this time I clicked once to end the task and once to not send the report. Patience.

I needed to do something because I need my laptop in top-notch working order before I start the training on Tuesday. I had carefully watched my daughter patiently work through the process of fixing one thing at a time. I was ready to give it a try. Patience.

I searched the web for "problems with Internet Explorer." I found a Microsoft site that offered a series of steps to follow, from the simplest to more complicated if the problem persists. I methodically followed the instructions, and while methods one and two did not solve the problem, method three did!

Patience.

I have not had any problems with Internet Explorer in the last 24 hours.

Thanks, K. I couldn't have done it without you.

6 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

I'm with you....computer problems tax my patience as well. I end up turning over all that aggravation to others. Glad your computer seems to be behaving.

Kristen said...

I learned the patience from you! I'm so proud of you for seeking out what you needed to do an then just doing it. I hope you have a great day tomorrow! :)

Anonymous said...

Good job! That kind of patience grows when it sees results, like yours! Such a good daughter~
I never use Internet Explorer, I'm a huge Mozilla Firefox fan- lots less problems and viruses I find.

Cindy H said...

Sharon, for my paralegal training, one of my pre-requisites was a 15-week course in MicroSoft Office suite. Basically, it was 15 weeks of reading an instruction manual -- and the most difficult class I ever took. I grew in appreciation for what my husband does all day at work. I agree wholeheartedly that patience is truly the key.

Joanne said...

And thus the saying, Patience is a virtue ... I'm the same way, pretty patient in general, but in front of the computer, it goes out the window. I think I have to lower my technology expectations, and maybe my patience there will adjust.

mermaid said...

I love the title and the way you integrate the action of clicking throughout this post. It fondly reminded me of how I, too click impatiently.

Thanks for the lesson.