Thursday, September 24, 2009

Recognition

First, a heartfelt thank you to Ann of anniegirl1138 for her recognition of what I share here. Hers is one of the first blogs I started following regularly, more than a year ago. Ann is a writer, and I look forward to her daily posts.

Second, this week I have recognized some things about myself. On Tuesday I attended the orientation session for an entrepreneurship training program, where the outcome is a written business plan. Three graduates of last year's class shared their success stories, and I felt even more inspired about the process. As I sat listening, I could see myself sitting at the front of the room next year, sharing how I started my business and encouraging others to do the same. That is the first time I have had an image of myself as a business owner.

During the session each of us filled out a simple self-assessment, answering yes or maybe or no to 25 statements, which ranged from "I am persistent" to "I have a reputation for being stubborn." Our answers were for our eyes only so there was no reason not to answer truthfully. Each yes was worth 3 points, and I scored 72 points. The only three questions where I answered maybe were about taking chances and feeling sure of myself. That tells me that my tenuousness is the only thing holding me back.

Twenty of us have applied for fifteen slots, so the advisors made plans to meet with each of us to decide if this training is the best fit for what we hope to accomplish.

My interview was this afternoon. It was more emotional than I expected it to be because it was a time to think about how I got to this point and what comes next. When asked about the biggest change in the last year, I answered that "I'm not a mom anymore." Yes, I will always be a mother, but the transition to "mom of adult children" is complete.

I will find out tomorrow if I've made the cut. If this particular training doesn't work out, the advisors will help me get what I need to move forward. I am told that this is the time in my life for me, and with help I may be able to achieve that.

5 comments:

mermaid said...

May you feel the compassionate presence that believes in you, your journey, and your right to achieve. Let Mr. Doubt step aside.

Anonymous said...

A well deserved award and hopefully a new path to what you want in life! I could definitely see you with your own business - I've heard it's alot like having a child! :) I can see how your drive is in conflict with your self view and has been holding you back- you can do it Sharon!

Joanne said...

Best wishes Sharon, I'm sure there's a slot for you. I kind of wondered about your maybe to taking chances, considering the election process you tackled earlier this year! That was a brave chance, and you put your heart into it!

CaShThoMa said...

Best of luck, Sharon.
Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

That's is so cool. I am looking forward to hearing about your journey to business owner.

More and more I realize that I want to own a business. I just haven't found the setting (well, I have - a small mountain town) or the service/product. I love to write and I think more and more about starting a magazine, but I want something tangible too with a storefront and where people come and go.