Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It's Show Time

Yesterday was class #11 in the entrepreneurship skills course I am taking. The course runs twelve weeks, and the last two classes are dedicated to student presentations of our business plans.

I have been working with my classmates for ten weeks. We have had class discussions and shared our ideas in small groups. At one time or another I have talked with each person about aspects of their business plan. We know each other fairly well at this point.

And, still, yesterday I was blown away by the work that people have done.

The ideas are as unique as the people who own them: black and white film photography, all natural pet toys, graphic design, indoor golf, daycare, original art on homemade paper, outdoor activities, landscape design, pottery, and concierge service.

Each half-hour presentation includes time to read through the person's business plan, a PowerPoint presentation, and questions & answers.

I was impressed with the amount of thought people put into their plans and presentations. It was a thrill to see all the pieces come together and to hear what people plan to do next.

There are five of us left to present next week. Then we will share a potluck lunch and make plans for three follow-up sessions after the first of next year.

I am still working on my presentation. I have everything I need and an idea of how I want it to look.

I don't like to finish things. It's easier to keep a little bit undone so I can imagine that it turns out just the way I want.

It's also easier to keep working on the plan than it is to take action. The action step is where mistakes happen and risks are taken and everything doesn't go as planned.

Then I remember that I want to be more proactive. It's show time.

6 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Best of luck on your presentation, Sharon. I hope it launches you into a place where your dreams take hold.

Elaine said...

Enjoy next week's public "birth" of your idea. Sharing it with others will definitely make it more real - out of your head and into the universe, thus allowing the universe to respond and move your small business along.

BTW, I haven't read all your posts since starting this class. Have you shared your idea here on your blog?

Joanne said...

What an interesting selection of businesses! It's always fascinating to see people pursuing their passions like this. It sounds like the course prepared you well, best wishes on your presentation. I'll leave with you with the words my daughters often wisely advise me ... "Own it!"

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to have the energy of a group for classes and projects? I can hear your enthusiasm. So glad you've got that group support and opportunity. Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

good luck next week. you're gonna be great.

helen said...

Your organization and passion will result in a superb presentation. Look forward to your post-presentation blog!

Take risks...allow the unexpected to happen.