Thursday, December 10, 2009

Waiting In The Wrong Line

I was waiting for a neon sign, a lightening bolt, or some other flash of genius to strike.

I thought I had to have the brightest idea, the best plans, and all the answers before I took action.

I wanted to know all the details before I decided if I wanted to get on board, take the risk, and make the commitment.

Then a couple weeks ago I read Dawn's post titled Commitment Precedes Vision at her blog "Today and Everyday." She posted the following quote:

“In life, many thoughts are born in the course of a moment, an hour, a day. Some are dreams, some visions. Often, we are unable to distinguish between them. To some, they are the same; however, not all dreams are visions. Much energy is lost in fanciful dreams that never bear fruit. But visions are messages from the Great Spirit, each for a different purpose in life. Consequently, one person’s vision may not be that of another. To have a vision, one must be prepared to receive it, and when it comes, to accept it. Thus when these inner urges become reality, only then can visions be fulfilled. The spiritual side of life knows everyone’s heart and who to trust. How could a vision ever be given to someone to harbor if that person could not be trusted to carry it out. The message is simple: commitment precedes vision.”
~ High Eagle

I read it several times and I returned to read it over the course of several days. At odd times during the day I thought about High Eagle's words, often reversing the words to "vision precedes commitment" because the ideas he presented appeared to be out of order.

I had been waiting in the wrong line. I was in line for a vision.

I needed to be in the commitment line. I had to make the commitment to do the work and follow through. I had to be ready to receive the vision ahead of its arrival.

This week I got in the commitment line.

After Tuesday's class, when I watched my classmates present their ideas and share their plans, I realized I had not made the commitment to the work I need to do. I was holding back. I was keeping my passion at bay, just in case things don't work out.

And that's when my thinking changed. That's when I had the thought "commitment precedes vision."

Then the ideas started to flow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ack!! if I could virtually hug you right now I surely would. Such great work you have done for yourself.
{{squeeze}}!!
May your road be straight,
Dawn

Joanne said...

So true, Sharon. Once you commit to something, an idea, an identity, a journey, it does have a way of becoming you and growing from that starting point. It takes on a stronger definition.

helen said...

My junior high civics teacher gave every student an award at the end of our 9th grade year. To me he awarded confidence. It took many more years and many reminders of my long ago award to realize confidence. Even in mid-life I sometimes have to remind myself to act with confidence.

Sending good thoughts for a daily renewal of confidence that will enable you to remain in the commitment line and move forward with your vision.

And, if by some chance, my former teacher's eyes fall upon this blog – thank you Mr. Buhler.

Patti Lacy said...

It took me a whole summer to "think through" my fourth book. Time well invested.

Especially when it has to do withi your life!

Blessings,
Patti

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, after reading your post - I thought - it must have been written for me.
Thank you for your kind comments to me. Have a good day. You are on the right path - follow your heart.

Laura said...

Really great quote Sharon and the way you wove it into your experience was wonderful!

Remember, commitment doesn't mean it won't get scary sometimes...that's part of the deal...continuing with fear as well as joy and confidence as companions.
gentle steps,
laura

Cindy H said...

Sharon, thank you for sharing your journey with us. I think that quotation from High Eagle is very wise. It also reminds me of a quotation from motivational guru Norman Vincent Peale. In his book, "The Power of Positive Thinking," he writes about the advice given to someone at a track and field meet. The advice is: "Throw your heart over the bar, and your body will follow."