Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Taking Her Chances

My daughter's birthday is tomorrow. I asked her what kind of cake she wanted, hoping she would pick something easy. I am not known for baking cakes. Pies, yes. Cookies, yes. Bread, yes. Cakes, no. She knew she was taking her chances when she sent me a link for a chocolate peanut butter cake. I decided to make it today just in case things didn't go as planned.

I corralled the ingredients ~

I was pleasantly surprised when the cakes came out of the pans as promised ~

and I was able to apply the peanut butter/cream cheese frosting without incident ~

The chocolate glaze pooled onto the plate more than it was supposed to ~
but I consider this project a success. The cake is setting up in the fridge to be enjoyed when we all get together tomorrow night. I will have no problem scooping extra chocolate onto each plate and calling it "presentation." Oh, there was a bit of chocolate left over that I will need to use up later on Breyer's vanilla ice cream....
Merry Christmas everyone!

10 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Yum. This cake looks amazing. Enjoy the birthday celebration with your family tomorrow. And, Merry Christmas too!

Joanne said...

Great looking cake there! We made a chocolate cake this afternoon, can't wait for Christmas dessert :)

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas, and all best in the New Year!

Anonymous said...

well you whipped that us like it was nothing, didn't you. What a beautiful cake, enjoy!
Have a wonderful holiday with your family.
Peace and Happiness in the New Year!
~Dawn

mamacate said...

Extra chocolate pooling on the plate? I have a little trouble calling that a "mistake." Sounds (and looks) delish. Happy birthday, Kristen!

Laura said...

Yum, Sharon...Maine isn't so far away...I want a slice! Apparently you are a cake baker!

bright blessings and happy birthday to your daughter.

Laura

Cindy H said...

Sharon, I'd love a piece of that cake! It looks scrumptious, and it says a lot about you that you'd do that for your daughter!

Merry Christmas!

Kristen said...

the cake was delicious!

and, for the record: I had NO DOUBT that she'd be able to make it! She doesn't give herself enough credit when in the kitchen. (though next year I suppose I'll ask for something a bit simpler to give her a full year off.)

Anonymous said...

That looks amazingly delicious! Have a wonderful holiday season Sharon and family! You do underestimate yourself alot!

mermaid said...

How did your family like it? Most importantly, you liked it, because you did a FABULOUS job!

Only the Half of It said...

Merry Christmas. What a fun post. Does your daughter like having a Christmas Eve birthday? Cake looks yummy!