Monday, June 27, 2011

Cancelled

This is a first. I find out I didn't get the job before the interview.

When I got home Friday night Ken said someone had called from the organization where I was scheduled to interview. The woman didn't want to leave a message and said she would send me an email, though I didn't receive anything from her office.

All kinds of things went through my mind: rescheduling, papers to bring...and although I thought that maybe she could be calling to cancel the interview I quickly dismissed that possibility. I mean, they haven't even met me yet!

When there was no phone call from the woman early today I felt better. It probably wasn't anything important. It did occur to me that she could send an email to an incorrect address, so I put in a call at 9:00 this morning. It went to voicemail so I left a message.

An hour later the woman called to say the interview has been cancelled. They have already filled the position, which means someone who is already an employee or someone interviewed previously for another position. I asked if she would keep my application on file.

So that's that. Back to the drawing board. And the air is out of my sails once again. I wish I could stop getting my hopes up, but when something that looks promising comes along I get excited. I read the signs all wrong.

When I contacted one of my references last week to confirm her contact information, I learned she has retired to the Southwest. I told her I have had no luck with any of the small non-profits that I worked with when I was an intern in her office. She said, "Who would have thought that would happen?"

Indeed.

8 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh I'm sorry to read this! But I don't think you're reading the signs wrong at all. It's perfectly reasonable to be enthusiastic about possibility. I do it too, and then if my work is declined for one reason or another, it's back to the drawing board. So I'm feeling your pain, in a way. But one of these days, you'll be posting a celebratory post, I'm sure!

Helen said...

My first thought was "RATS!" My next thought was that there is something else around the corner for you. Will look forward to what comes up next.

Relax and enjoy the upcoming holiday weekend with your hubby. Then, back to the drawing board.

Carolynn Anctil said...

I'm sorry you're experiencing so much disappointment. *sigh* I confess though, your first line made me laugh out loud. You've gotta keep your sense of humour, right?

I'll be joining you on the search for a new job before long...if all goes well.

Cindy said...

Third try to post a comment. The internet is up to something these days. I'm so sorry to hear of this curt dismissal. No matter the reason, it still hurts.

teri said...

'When we start on any path it is impossible to foresee all that will happen on the journey. It is what we do along the way that speaks to our character and commitment. Who we are and how we get there matter as much as where we end up.'
Beautifully said from your last post... the synchronicity of your words is perfect. BUT I am so sorry for this long time of searching. We are all with you and just seeing that first line made me laugh aloud - thanks for showing us how to keep going. sending big hugs- teri

Anonymous said...

Awwww that's too bad. But I agree with Joanne - not reading it wrong- just timing! Hugs.

mermaid said...

It's got to hurt. "Wind out of your sails". Ouch.

I'm here holding your hand and listening. It's so human and normal to get excited at the prospect of something new. The disappointmnet that follows is hard.

May the wind blow your sails in the direction you most need to travel.

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Sorry to hear about this development, Sharon. Quite a journey you're on, with its ups and downs. But the way the news was delivered to you tells you something in itself about the organization. Which makes me wonder: Maybe you were spared for something better!