Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Summer Tradition

We have lived in this house four years, and in that time we have learned a few of the local traditions. One of the tastiest summer traditions is a trip to a drive-in restaurant in Brunswick, the closest city to our town. My elderly friend from town and I went on the day they opened this year, which happened to be St. Patrick's Day, but the real joy of this landmark is a visit on a warm summer's day. This is the well-known Fat Boy's ~

My friend likes to sit in one of the half dozen booths inside the building. If you stay in your car, you signal you are ready to order by turning on your headlights ~


The menu is simple. The house speciality is a Candian Bacon BLT with an order of onion rings. They serve a delicious fish fillet sandwich, and their coffee is good too ~



It was a treat to have lunch on this eighty-degree first day of summer with a friend at Fat Boy's Drive-In. Summer is fleeting, and we know we need to enjoy these moments while they last.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmm..... I love going to Fat Boy's! It's so retro!

Joanne said...

What a perfect summer tradition, a stop at Fat Boys! It reminds me of a tradition we have, the Wednesday Night Summer Ice Cream Series. Each Wednesday night of the summer, we stop life and head out for ice cream, no matter what, windows rolled down, music playing, and have a good time :)

Helen said...

The simple pleasures and traditions -- refreshing, calming, and ohhhhh so important.

Anonymous said...

This is perfect for the first day of summer. I love all the great photos you posted here -- the 1950s aqua brings me back ... Happy Summer, Sharon!

Carolynn Anctil said...

You know it's all in the bacon, right...? *grin*

I'm not a red meat eater, but I totally get the 'event' of this. It reminds me of a place we have here that used to do the drive up order thing. They don't do it anymore.

mermaid said...

These moments are fleeting. I've been irritable with the eweather here, almost 100 in northern Cali. Still, these moments are fleeting, and things like Fat Boys and lunch with a friend are treasures to remember!

teri said...

Aqua lives on! I enjoyed this very much.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Enjoy yourself.
One more memory to make you smile.
Now if I were with you
It would not be Fat Boy's
Probably some good seafood...
would not care if I sat on a bench or on the ground :)