Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Lucky Thirteen

I like the number 13. It's a prime number. It's the first "teen" number.

And hopefully the fact that yesterday was June 13th bodes well for the the events of the day ~

My daughter made a major decision about her future. It's not my story to tell but once the news isn't so new I bet I can get permission to write about it.

The Boston Bruins won a hard-fought Game 6 in the Stanley Cup Finals, and that means they proceed to Game 7 which will be played Wednesday night in Vancouver. The Bruins have never needed to play a seventh game when they have made it to the Finals in the past, and this year they have yet to win a game in Vancouver.

I'm betting on Lucky 13...

Because I filed a job application with a large social service agency yesterday.

I have been shying away from such large organizations for a number of reasons ~ When I got the MSW I did not take the classes I would need to be licensed, and I assumed that would keep me from working in the larger agencies. I had the idea I wanted to go to work for a small non-profit where everyone knew everyone else. I honed my resume to fit the various positions for which I applied, and I appreciated that it was received by a person and reviewed with other resumes submitted in application for the same position.

Those ideas of mine were challenged when I had dinner with a friend a couple weeks ago. She said agencies do not hire only licensed social workers, that I might be surprised at the services that such agencies provide, and that there are ways I could broaden my job search.

I took our conversation to heart. I started checking out job openings that I hadn't considered before.

The last hurdle I had to get over was filling out the online application. The question, "What have I been doing for the last four years?" does not fit easily into little boxes.

It took a few days and a couple failed attempts, but yesterday I settled in to fill out and submit the required online application. It took hours, and then it took a while longer to answer the four "interview" questions that followed and also needed to be submitted.

The good news is that they will keep the application on file for one year and it can be considered for more than one position.

The better news is that I continue to expand my options.

6 comments:

Laura said...

opening and expanding...this is aligned with the season Sharon...and also seems a good omen, like lucky 13.

sending you metta and wishes for exactly the right person to read your resume...all will fall into place, be patient sweet friend, I know it is hard, I do.

Joanne said...

The Stanley Cup Finals this year are the best kind, aren't they? So close, it's anyone's call ...

mermaid said...

I hear an opening in this post, a door or window letting in more light. I wish you well on that application filed on the 13th.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

While reading your post - I felt peace. I think something is going to open soon.
I notice a whole change in your attitude. You seem more confident
I am proud of you...
Is it alright to say that

teri said...

Smiling after reading your last two posts- cannot wait to hear what your daughter is up to. xo teri

Carolynn Anctil said...

If all goes well, I'll be joining you in the search for a new job. More on that later....*grin*

I wish you all the best in finding a fulfilling place to work.

I don't like hockey. It's hard not to know what's going on though, given that I live in Vancouver and it's been front page(!!!) news for the past several weeks. I expect there will be much mayhem Wednesday night, regardless of the outcome of the game. I, for one, will be heading home early from work and staying inside.

Good luck to whichever team you're cheering for.