Thursday, June 16, 2011

Life Is In The Bits And Pieces

This has been a week of extremes. Wednesday I wrote about the banner day I'd had. It felt good to mark on my calendar the day of my next interview. It was cathartic to cheer wildly each time the Bruins scored.

Yet for some this has been a week of extreme loss.

Last weekend I learned of the death of a friend's friend, someone I have known for years because she worked in the main office at the high school. She was the mother of one of my daughter's friends, and she kept track of my sons as they signed in or out as they came and went for appointments during the school day. She was two years older than I am, working and grandparenting, and she knew something was wrong but doctors couldn't pinpoint exactly what... until they found cancer in her lung just weeks ago. The news caused me to pause, and I will keep her family and friends in my prayers.

Then tonight I learned of another death that has shaken me in another way ~ someone I have never met personally but someone I met through blogging and have followed for over a year. I first commented on a post Char wrote about John Hiatt and Lyle Lovett in February of last year. When I visited her blog ramblins I was so taken with her writing and photography that I went back to her beginning and read each post. I hadn't planned to comment but I couldn't not connect with another John Hiatt fan. She was 53 and her death was unexpected. I will keep her family and friends in my prayers, as well.

In a way I knew Char better than I know a lot of people in person. Through her writing and photography she shared her life, the ups and downs of day to day living. Her words gave shape to her thoughts and her photos brought life to her vision. Up close and personal. She trusted her readers with her innermost hopes and fears. It's those bits and pieces that matter.

That's where life is.

6 comments:

Joanne said...

I am so saddened by your post today Sharon, and the losses here. I feel like I knew Char, with her "ramblings" and photographs and songlists depicting her days. She'll be very much missed.

Carolynn Anctil said...

By all the lovely tributes to Char today, she seems to have touched a lot of lives. I'm sorry for the loss you're feeling.

Laura said...

Sharon, I'm so sorry...it hits so hard sometimes, especially when someone dies so suddenly. I send you healing energy and to your friends families too.

mermaid said...

Your whole post moved me, but those last few lines really touched something in me Sharon.

"That's where life is."

I'm so glad I know another woman in this world who is moved by anothers suffering, and is not afraid to share her own vulnerability shamelessly.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thank you for this post.
Sorry for the loss you are feeling.
I think sometimes we feel closer and more connected to people we share with through our writing - then those in our every day life.
Wish I could express this better.

teri said...

In between the moments- my heart is with you. xo teri