Monday, January 12, 2009

Looking For Balance

My "boys from Boston" were home for part of the week-end. No, I don't mean the Red Sox. I am talking about my sons ~ P, who lives and works there, and T, who is back at Northeastern for the spring semester. They came home because they had fun things to do, and they left after dinner on Saturday. That left enough time for us to visit and catch up.

Thoughts about the week-end crossed my mind this morning as I started my day in this quiet house.

What was it about the last three days that felt just right? It was the balance of time with family, time with Ken, and time alone.

Balance was an important ingredient of life when all the kids lived at home. It took work to achieve, but I was at my best when my routine included a mix of time with family and friends, and time alone.

In the past year I haven't been able to find the same balance of time with other people and time by myself. There have been days in the past month when I have felt extreme annoyance, with myself and others, for no apparent reason.

I think now that the problem is a lack of balance. I want to hold onto that thought and see what comes to me about how to bring balance back into my life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I think that finding balance in our lives is very important, and it seems that this past week, you hit that perfect balance for yourself. I hope you explore this topic again in the future.

CaShThoMa said...

Yes, indeed: BALANCE.
Have you been watching the Oprah Show lately? It's all about finding balance in all aspects of life and putting yourself back on the priority list. The shows have been a nice New Year's reminder that balance is the key to success in so many areas of our life that challenge us.

For me, it's trying to find time that is all mine without the pull of my daughter or my mother, the two most powerful people in my life right now.

Anonymous said...

Good morning,
Some time ago I figured out the perfect balance for me:
Week one - Me and my husband
Week two - me and the kids
Week three - All the family together
Week four - Me alone
Extra days - Me and 1 kid.
This foundered for obvious reasons, primarily no place to park the unnecessary people on their off weeks. And, as you can see, it's all about ME
Jenny

Anonymous said...

How nice to read this post. Balance is what we're all aspiring to.

When my child was so much younger, I thought I would have it all figured out by midlife, when things got quieter around the house ... Now I know what it's like when things are TOO quiet. I still struggle to find that balance!