Monday, January 5, 2009

Two Miles

Since we bought the treadmill in mid-November, my goal has been to walk two miles in 30 minutes. I almost made it this morning, two miles in 30:34. The flat 30:00 was the norm when I walked at the gym 3-4 years ago so I know I can do it. It takes a steady speed of at least 4 miles an hour. Once I'm comfortable with that I will increase the incline, which makes the walk more of a workout.

This afternoon I will add crunches and a short workout with 3-pound weights to my routine.

This is the year to establish the habits that I will need for the rest of my life. Before menopause I could manage my body shape through diet. That is no longer the case, and I refuse to get comfortable with feeling frumpy. I want to feel strong. That's going to take some work at this point in my life.

Like so many other changes in recent years, I have a spent a good amount of time lamenting how my body used to look and feel. That didn't get me anywhere, so I've decided to get serious about what I really want. I have admitted that exercise needs to become part of my daily routine. It's not my first choice, but it's become obvious that it's the only way to get the results I want.

I know there are health benefits from regular exercise. Surprisingly, that did not act as much of an incentive. Jeans feeling a bit tighter did the trick. I know holiday treats contributed to the problem, but I don't want to have to stop eating cookies and other treats. I love homemade cookies! and pies! and muffins! Cutting out all those goodies would be the worst form of denial, which I hope to avoid.

Hmmm...a sugar cookie would taste good, but I think I'll dig out the weights first.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and are on on the same (treadmill) path! Only I am going to be riding the stationary bike while I watch Oprah in the afternoons. I will wave to you as I pass, Sharon! Happy trails!

Anonymous said...

burn to earn as i say here... Whether it's running or riding .. a "short tour beats no tour".. not to mention how great you feel physically and mentally afterwards..

way 2 go for you
happy trails and cookies
gp in montana

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the inspiration toward renewed health and fitness. I received weights for Christmas and my chiropractor has recommended stretches. Here's to a more fit year in '09 (and warm cookies & milk)!

CaShThoMa said...

Good for you! Keeping in shape is always a challenge! I'm hoping to get in the groove this week. Kudos for getting on the treadmill again and getting out those weights!

Anonymous said...

I have never been able to manage my body size/shape through diet, so you were quite lucky in my opinion.

I am just under 25 minutes for two miles and can hit just a bit past three miles in 35ish minutes. I need to get to 4 miles in 45 minutes - which I know I can if I can get back to running every other lap of the last two miles. The goal is to run two miles and walk the other two by the end of the summer. Depends on the ankle though. I am hoping the spin class that starts next week can help build up some stamina.

Fitness goals are great, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

Sharon, good to hear your inspiring news. When I fully recover from surgery on my right foot, I plan to get back to walking and maybe my Step Exercise class at the Y. I find that I must also add more exercise to my life. I don't want to give up eating occasional treats, either. Life's too short for that. I'd rather exercise more!

Sounds like you're really making good progress with your goal.