Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Puzzled

*Note: My latest post is up at 50-something moms blog ~ Scrapbooks, Photo Albums, and Memories.

On New Year's Day, my husband, son, and I finished a puzzle we started before Christmas. Ken and I bought this puzzle the year we were married.






Two days later we started another puzzle and made the mistake of leaving the box of pieces where Leo could make himself comfortable.
Once we cleared away the kitty, we could continue work on the puzzle.














The timing for this activity is perfect. When I work on a puzzle, I have something specific to focus on. I relax. My mind changes gears as I pay attention to the details of the pieces, taking in color, size, and shape. I survey what is completed and decide where to go next.

As in creating a life, constructing a puzzle is done a bit at a time. It's hard to see the entire picture until most of the pieces are in place. It takes time, patience, and a willingness to make changes when pieces don't fit quite right. There is a feeling of satisfaction when the picture comes into focus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect metapor. I love your idea about a family puzzle at Christmas! Leo makes me giggle.... It's a snowday here today, I guess I should call it an ice day!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Hi there-
I think you said it perfectly and I think you also identified why I enjoy doing puzzles so much. Very insightful. Loved your kitty pic too!

I started to post yesterday about your new fitness plan and it disappeared into the ethers. So I'll try it again. Congratulations on setting wonderful goals for yourself. You'll be buff before we know it!

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I used to love puzzles, and enjoyed working on them with my son when he was much younger. He'd bored and impatient with them, which seemed odd, since he loved putting together intricate Lego sets. But I ended up finishing the puzzles...