Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Simple Gifts

Elsewhere, much has already been said and written about President Obama's inaugural speech. His original presentation was flawless. Then I read the text, and I've heard excerpts throughout the afternoon and evening. I am sure I will read it again several times because it seems like more of a blueprint for the coming months than a one-shot deal. The new president told it like it is. I expect he will continue to remind us where we are and what we need to do to get where we're going.

In addition to the speech, there were two highlights of the day for me.

The second runner-up was the appearance of President and Mrs. Obama as they left their car and walked up Pennsylvania Avenue. With style and presence, the couple smiled and waved at the throngs of people who lined the Avenue.

The first runner-up, tied with the speech really, was the performance of "Air and Simple Gifts" by Yo Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, a clarinetist, and a pianist. While the piece was a new arrangement by John Williams, the essence was a Shaker hymn called "Simple Gifts." The words I remember came immediately to mind. The broad smile on Yo Yo Ma's face mirrored how I was feeling today. I pray that the words of the hymn portend where we are headed as a country:

Simple Gifts
'Tis the gift to be simple,
'Tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
it will be in the valley of Love and Delight.

When true simplicity is gained,
to bow and to bend we will not be ashamed,
To turn and to turn will be our delight,
'till by turning, turning we come 'round right.

With a lot of hard work, and by the grace of God, may we come 'round right.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As we look forward, may the spirit that was felt on inauguration day continue to flow and provide renewal. And, yes, may we come 'round right.

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I loved how those musicians performed that song and I'd love to get a copy of it.

Anonymous said...

Sharon,
I love Simple Gifts too -- the tune, the message, the sweet beauty of it. I was enthralled all day by the Inauguration festivities and thought often of you and others who were so supportive and worked so hard during the campaign. Yes. We. Did!

Anonymous said...

There's so much in that speech. Every time I read it, I see something else. One of the lines that made the most impression on me was "Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end."