Thursday, January 28, 2010

Focused

I have had the luxury of time this week. Ken worked four days out of town. I took advantage of that to ignore the dust bunnies collecting in the corners and the paperwork piling up on every available surface. Instead of cleaning or cooking I spent hours at a time at the sewing machine. It has been a long time since I have been so focused on one project, and the reward is that I have finished the quilt top I have been working on. I will have photos to share tomorrow.

The time alone in the house gave me the time and space to work, but I have not always been able to focus on a project even when I had the opportunity.

The difference is that this month I have followed Jan's 28-day meditation challenge at Awake is Good. I don't think it's a coincidence that I have felt calmer and more focused.

Meditation has "changed my mind."

After some trial and error, I found that it works best for me to meditate for a few minutes before bed and a few minutes when I first wake up. For the first several days my mind would not settle down and thoughts continued non-stop. I tried a variety of strategies, including visualizing treetops and floating balloons and sending thoughts on their way.

Then I started saying a blessing of loving kindness for myself and others:

May you be happy,
May you be well,
May you be safe,
May you be peaceful and at ease.

My breathing slows and my mind calms. I have been sleeping better and waking without anxiety.

I didn't know that saying a simple blessing could make such a big difference.

Then I realized that I can access the calming effect of meditation during the day, while I am petting Leo or making tea or walking down the driveway to get the mail or sewing. I can slow down and pay attention to what I am doing in the present moment, which calms my mind and helps me focus.

I never thought that letting go of thinking would help me be more focused.

It feels like so much more is possible.

3 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Meditation carries such wonderful benefits. I'm glad to hear that you've been able to "tap in". It takes commitment and trust that good things will happen; it isn't always fast enough but it comes.

I tell myself this all the time when pondering something new that is likely to help with life's bumpy road. You are inspiring.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blessing to say before bed each night, Sharon. I am going through a very rough time with my mother's health issues, so I am going to try to use your meditation prayer myself at bedtime, to quiet my worried mind.

And I can't wait to see those quilt photos!

Anonymous said...

Next, try using meditation in the midst of a "crisis". when you feel frustrated or aggravated by something or someone. When you bring your mind into the tiny pinpoint of a moment and are able to focus it rather than let it spread out and rant on, THAT is amazing. To remain "calm in the midst of the storm".
Wonderful progress, keep it up!
Peace~
Dawn