Monday, January 4, 2010

A Sticky Start

The snowflakes started falling New Year's Day and continued through the early morning hours on Sunday. The 18 inches that piled up looked light and fluffy until we started clearing out yesterday ~ the snow had a sticky factor. Ken must have stopped a dozen times to clean the blades of the snowblower. It took me two hours to clear the deck, tapping the shovel after each load to remove the sticky snow.

I have been mulling over the stickiness factor and decided this morning that it bodes well for 2010. I am optimistic that two new habits will stick with me this year.

The first is meditation. Jan at Awake is Good is running a 28-day meditation challenge this month. She is offering support for everyone who wants to join in, as well as helpful ideas about how to establish and maintain a meditation practice. I am starting at square one but have made the commitment to stick with it.

The second is more attention to what I eat and how often I exercise. For encouragement I am following along at http://fivefullplates.com/. Mir, Kira, Lydia, Joshilyn, and Gray have challenged themselves to lose ten pounds in ten weeks. Their posts will chronicle what they learn and how they change their eating and exercise habits. My goal is not to lose weight but to eat better and exercise more. I think after ten weeks I can stick with the changes I make.

The bottom line is that I can take these positive steps in this new year. I have no excuse not to.

6 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Hi Sharon; I know that snow must be a pain...but the photograph is so serene and gorgeous. I would love to curl up with a good book and a hot cup of tea and stare out on this scene for hours.

The sticky metaphor works for me too. I like that....

Best in 2010!

mermaid said...

Sounds like some wonderful things to stick to.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo with this post! I was thinking of signing up with Jan's daily meditation practice... I know I am making excuses, but it's so hard for me now, what with going to my mom's daily, cutting back on time I can spend online, and so forth. I NEED to slow down though, and thought that was a wonderful idea of Jan's too!
Happy New Year!

Patti Lacy said...

Oh, the stick metaphor applies to SOOOO many things!

The key for my exercise was finding things I really liked.
Combining old Law & Order shows and yoga fills my cavities!!!

LOL
Patti
www.pattilacy.com/blog

Cindy said...

I like your commitments and may just hop on both of those links! I have meditated for years but I need to get back to doing it daily...and I really need to exercise more and eat better!! so Thanks for the inspiration and the links.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Congrats to you for these bold new intentions. I am so glad you have joined my Meditation Challenge. Doing this with all of you is sure keeping me on course too! Isn't supportive community wonderful! Stay safe and warm....Tons of sticky stuff here too.