Monday, January 25, 2010

While The Wind Blows

I have been sewing for three days. Today I finished putting together the final rows of the last quarter of the quilt. Once I sew together these fourteen rows and connect them to the other three sections, the quilt top will be complete. I am pleased with how things are coming together.

A serious storm moved up the coast of Maine today. It's warm enough that instead of snow the front brought heavy rain and high winds. All day I watched rain hit the windows on all sides of the house, and as the light faded a high wind warning was issued for our county and surrounding areas. When the lights flickered, I filled the bathtub with water, brewed a pot of coffee, and put a flashlight in my pocket. I figured if the power went out I could pin quilt rows together by the beam of light.

As I sat at the sewing machine this evening I listened to the wind blow. It's warm enough that I'm not worried about being without heat. I am home alone, with the prospect of losing power, and I am surprisingly okay with that. I thought about how hard this would be if I had kids at home trying to do homework and needing to take showers. I have just me to worry about and I'm doing alright.

My thoughts turned to one of the posters I had framed to hang in the room where I sew. It's one of four posters I chose to have professionally framed, and I kept it because I like the artwork that is above the saying, which truthfully I have never understood, until this past week-end. It's a few lines from the Tao Te Ching, translated by Stephen Mitchell:

Each separate being in the universe returns to the common source. Returning to the source is serenity. If you don't realize the source, you stumble in confusion and sorrow. When you realize where you come from, you naturally become tolerant.

The journey continues....

7 comments:

patti said...

Beautiful weather to stay inside, quilt...WRITE! I too heard the wind speaking today...
Love reading your blog.

Patti

Joanne said...

We had the same rainstorm here yesterday, too. Wow, it was like a monsoon. There's not a flake of snow left on the ground, it looks like Spring outside. Hm, another of Mother Nature's tricks, I'm sure it won't be long before we're blanketed beneath snow again!

Laura said...

Sharon, I love this quote...we had the same rain here in NH all night Sunday and all day Monday...there was concern about flooding...and you know what...it was warm enough that all the rain (and melted snow) returned to the source. As I think about this now and reflect on the call with Jan this afternoon...I realize that when we become caught up in the fury of anger or any strong emotion all we need to do is trust that we too know our way back to the source.

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I love the image of you sewing safely, cozily, inside while the wind blew outdoors. You created a lovely picture for me in this post. I like to think that the wintry weather we have in the Northeast and Midwest are blessings, in that it forces us to be indoors to explore our inner lives and creative work. How's that for optimism?

mermaid said...

A radiant story of equanimity. May you be still while the wind blows.

Cindy said...

I like the quote from the Tao, reminds me of the soul, the inner spark of the divine, that always knows what is good to do next for body and mind. Wish I listened to it more;-) I love quilts, love that they are so pretty, and functional, and also great art...you have a wonderful gift being able to make them. Sewing is one of the things I always meant to do but never got around to learning. Yet. You inspire me.

Kristen said...

the cradle will rock...

That's been running through my head for the last few days, and I just realized that your post title is what started it.

interesting quote - which picture is it under?