Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Six Days In

It has been less than a week since the new year started and already I have learned some things about myself.

I love sugar.

Thoughts run through my mind nonstop.

I am becoming addicted to walking on my treadmill.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Almost thirty years ago I stopped putting sugar in my coffee. I was a two-spoonfuls-of-sugar-a-cup girl. I would cut back to one spoonful, but before I knew it I was back to shoveling sugar into the cup. In 1980 I had a new baby, and I wanted to be a good role model. It was a leap year, and February 29 called to me to do something to mark the occasion. I stopped putting any sugar in my coffee. It worked.

I still put sugar in a cup of hot tea. Since the holidays I have cut way back on the sweets I am eating. But I have increased my tea intake, I think in part because I want the sugar, the amount of which has increased as well. Starting with my afternoon tea today I am going to cut back to one spoonful of sugar. Fingers crossed it sticks.

* * * * * * * * * * *

I think all. the. time. Since I made the commitment to start a meditation practice, I have become aware of the thoughts that run through my mind unceasingly. The good news is that I have become aware of this. I am learning that this is part of the process of learning to meditate ~ to become aware of thoughts that fill the space I am trying to clear out. The interesting thing for me is that I am now conscious of how much time and energy I spend thinking about thinking.

* * * * * * * * * * *

I have a treadmill and I know how to use it. I experimented with changing my routine, but the best time of day for me to walk is early afternoon. I look forward to it. I miss it on the days I don't make time. My whole body feels better on the days I walk.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Just six days of paying attention to what I eat, when I exercise, and how often thoughts pass through my mind have led me to make small changes. It makes me wonder about what else might change in the next few weeks.

Let the journey continue....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You continue to inspire me, Sharon. You have more discipline than I do, for sure, but you make me believe I can be more focused. Some progress here: this year I have been trying to ride my stationary bike while watching movies at night -- it helps. Next step, but I need to learn how to meditate and should follow Jan's program. Lastly, like you, I think I think too much ;-)

Kristen said...

You kill me - I never think about you and sugar! Pick up a lemon (a beautiful 89cent jumbo yellow lemon) and cut off a bit and squeeze that into your tea. It's how I learned that I like hot tea with lemon and no sugar or lemon and a drop or two of honey.

As for the thinking? as Brett would say, "it's a start, Sharon, just think of it as a start."

mermaid said...

Your journey sounds very helpful. Yes, even I think all the time. It can be annoying and amusing. One of my favorite bumper stickers is, "You are not your thoughts." It helps me to remember this so I'm not as critical when the thoughts are incessant.

Joanne said...

I'm a walker too, and love it. I walk anywhere and anytime I can. We've logged many interesting miles as a family, from walking through woods, to through NYC, into concert halls, around the track, through neighborhoods, in different states, different weather. It's so beneficial to much more than the physical. Enjoy that treadmill this snowy winter!

Cindy said...

Wish I loved to walk. Wish I was addicted to my treadmill! But I am making progress on the meditation front. Yoga and meditation are things I really enjoy, so they're easier for me. And like you I am fighting the sugar battle. I hear that if you give it up for a month, you don't crave it anymore.

Patti Lacy said...

Oh, I'm thrilled with your progress. My daily exercise has become a daily fun time with God.

When I jog, I...take in the smells and sounds around me and pretend that I'm flying. It's amazing the book ideas that have come, and I've had to stop and call myself and leave a message about all the cool twirling cells!!!

When I do yoga, I allow myself to watch Law & Order, or the Closer, which teach me about great dialogue and good plots. Not exactly the norm for yoga, but it works for me!!

That's the key, isn't it? At least my P.E. prof husband says so. Find an exercise regimen that works for you, that you relish, and that you can easily do.

Think you are going somewhere.
Nope.I know it!!!!!

Patti
www.pattilacy.com/blog

CaShThoMa said...

Sharon; I can feel it. Your very heart and soul is saying, "GO!".