Thursday, January 14, 2010

Lessons In Quilting


I started the day thinking that the last thing I need to be working on right now is a quilt.
I have always found a way to fill my days.
I am never bored.
Now I want to make room in my days to do things I haven't done before.
So why did I start making a quilt?
By mid-morning I figured it out ~ the answer lies in the process.
Start with a big idea.
Create the pieces that will make the whole.
Make a plan. Make changes.
Be flexible. Have patience.
Begin at the beginning and keep going.
Line things up.
Leave some wiggle room.
Take time to appreciate the details.
Celebrate incremental successes.
I have discovered the blueprint for making room for what comes next.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I love how you wrote this post like a poem -- it works and it's lovely and true. (Thanks, btw, for your comment on my new blog series, about the David Whyte poem. Glad you were inspired.) I wish you success as you start the quilt. Getting started is the hardest part, I think! Pls share with us your progress as you go.

Patti Lacy said...

Oh, what a beautiful poem for quilting and for life!

Love this blog.
Patti
www.pattilacy.com/blog

Laura said...

Planning and creating a quilt is a perfect analogy for life! I am a collager myself and there are many similarities...I love this.

BTW...the colors are exquisite Sharon...like your soul's colors, warm and rich!!!

Kristen said...

I love it - all of it, including the colors, the patterns and your poem. I just simply LOVE it.

Cindy said...

This postmakes me want to take up quilting!

Jenn said...

This is so beautiful, I adore this post. It's interesting to me because lately I'm considering decorating our bedroom and am drawn to shabby chic quilts. It's like they hold this organic, sacred process and I love the shabby vintage feel that can still be so comfy and beautiful! ;) now, I am understanding why this resonated so. Thank you ;) luv Jenn

cindyscoffeehouse said...

Sharon, I like your poem about quilting. I've never quilted, but I appreciate the artistry and patience that goes into it. I look forward to seeing how your quilt progresses.