Monday, January 11, 2010

Wild Bunch Squared

My daughter has an uncanny ability to find bargains. Last November she was raving about fabric she found at a statewide discount store. I didn't think too much about it until she showed me the designers' story online and the website* where you could buy the fabric, at three times the discount store price. The colors are vibrant and the patterns are bold. I know how much she likes the material, and how limited her time is, so for her birthday I offered to make her a quilt. She gave me carte blanche to design whatever I wanted. It's a surprise. I will post a picture after it's finished and she has seen it. My process is to cut, cut, cut squares in a way that I get the greatest number of squares out of the fabric I have. This meant that there was little left over ~

Yesterday I spent several hours laying out a design with the 729 three and a half inch squares. The next step is to sew, sew, sew.

*The designers are Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr. The fabric is from their Wild Bunch collection.

6 comments:

Joanne said...

I love the rich colors in that fabric, it'll be a beautiful quilt I'm sure. And what a gift you have, to be able to create such a beautiful item from scraps of fabric. I wouldn't know where to begin and find it intriguing ... keep us posted with photos!

CaShThoMa said...

Great colors. I wish I knew how to quilt; beautiful gifts from the heart. I hope you'll post photographs along the journey. Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

A fun and creative project that will be a blessing to both you and your daughter. Know you will enjoy the challenge and watching the beautiful fabric take on a personality.

Anonymous said...

Wish I could quilt, too... Sharon, I love the top photo showing the rich colors of the fabrics all together. Very nice.

Patti Lacy said...

I made four quilts as gifts, then could no longer luxuriate with the tiny squares with intricate stripes and dots and wavy lines because of writing commitments.

Thanks for sending me back...I can feel the soft cottons...
Patti
www.pattilacy.com/blog

mermaid said...

Oohhh. It is going to be so beautiful, for how it looks and the love that was used to create it.