Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Camera Shy Felines

I was in such a muddle yesterday. I woke up this morning after a good night's sleep with the feeling that I had worked some things out - in a dream that I couldn't remember. Frustrating. It does give me hope that my brain is working on whatever is nagging at me, even if the answers haven't surfaced yet. Sigh.

Two days this week I have spent time at my daughter's house. She has two cats, Izabelle and Beazlie, who disappear the minute I open the door. Sometimes I will see Izabelle as she flits from room to room, but I rarely see Beazlie unless my daughter is home. When my daughter got home Monday evening, Izabelle jumped onto a window sill in the kitchen but refused to look at the camera:

My daughter picked her up so I could get a picture - of a very unhappy kitty:

Today I found Beazlie in her hiding place under the workbench in the cellar:

These cats are sisters that my daughter adopted from the humane society before she was even moved into her house. While she works long hours in her residency, my daughter wanted two cats to keep each other company, and they do. Izabelle and Beazlie are the keepers of the house, and they resent my presence. I make noise, move through the house, rearrange all kinds of stuff, and generally disrupt their lives.
Izabelle and Beazlie look harmless enough. Well, let me tell you that they had me fooled, too. When no one is looking, their routine includes carrying yarn, fiber, and unfinished knitting projects from room to room and floor to floor. My daughter can leave with everything picked up and return to a house littered with anything-to-do-with-yarn that is not in a closet or tight container. Likewise, when she gets up in the morning she can expect to find anything from balls of yarn to cat toys to odd pieces of paper in bed with her. I didn't realize the extent of their industriousness until I stayed over one night and listened to their antics in the wee hours of the morning.
The sisterz keep my daughter on her toez and provide untold hourz of amuzement and companionship. Thank God for feline friendz.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

you captured them perfectly - I know I will miss them horribly when I'm not here during my "away" rotations next year, but I have no doubt they'll be in good, caring hands. (as I write this, Iz is chasing her tail under the rocking chair and Beaz has just knocked a stack of paper off of the chest. Never a dull moment 'round here...just the way I like it.)

Anonymous said...

Totally normal! The trouble with thread/yarn is that some cats ingest it and it can wreak havoc on their intestines so it's not that safe. My cat has a stuffed veterinarian that she carries around at night (rarely actually seen)and she sings as she does it! A wonderful serenade at 3 am!Cats are such company and entertainment aren't they?