Saturday, August 16, 2008

Friday in Camden

A day in Camden is something we look forward to. This summer has seen more rain than sunshine, so it has been hard to find a free, sunny day to go to our favorite town on the coast. We lucked out yesterday - Ken had an unplanned Friday off, the sun was shining, and we had a reason to go. We have two antique clocks that have been in and out of the clockmaker's shop, near Camden, for two years. He got them running, but the chimes are still not right after return trips and months of waiting for them to be ready. This week things lined up, and Ken said, "Let's get those clocks back in the shop." The clockmaker is a hard guy to pin down, so I wasn't sure we'd catch him in. He was working all day! Just let me get my purse....

This is the scene that greeted us from the harbor. Someday I'm going to take a trip on a yacht.


We walked around behind the shops, where a waterfall carries a stream to the harbor.


Down on the wharf we could look out to the ocean,



and back toward the hills, where clouds topped Mt. Battie.

While I wanted to see the harbor and take photos, Ken wanted to take me to lunch. I chose Cappy's, a favorite standby, especially in the summer when the upstairs dining room is open. This was the view from our table, which is why the place is a favorite.


Ken and I thoroughly enjoyed the day. It was time spent in a familiar place with sights and sounds that we love, a break from the everyday routine.
This morning we were awakened by rain....

2 comments:

Kristen said...

on my next planned day off, I need to take a trip back down there...it's simply been too long since I was there. How did the guy in the first picture manage to get his boat that far in? and what did you have for lunch?

Sharon said...

Ken thinks a tugboat towed that huge boat in so close to the pier. For lunch I had Cappy's cakes of crab served with greens and corn relish. Yummy. Ken had a bacon burger. We had white wine Sangria. Oh, such decadence on a Friday afternoon.