Monday, August 18, 2008

A Day at Popham Beach

Last Wednesday I read in the newspaper that already this month we have had 5 inches above the average amount of rain expected in August. On Friday someone told me that in the first two weeks of August we had 15% of the sunshine possible, compared with 85% in the same two weeks last year. No wonder we have been feeling soggy and gray.

This week-end was different. Other than rain overnight Friday and thundershowers Saturday evening, we had a more typical August week-end. People were out to enjoy it, me included. Yesterday I went to Popham Beach with my husband and daughter. Popham is a state park on the ocean less than an hour from our house, and it's our favorite beach in Maine.

Ken and I walked a mile and a half down the beach in one direction and looked out to sea:
That's a lighthouse in the distance.
This was the scene down the beach when we walked a half mile in the other direction:

The beach in between was packed with people. The tide was high at 12:40 p.m., so all morning people moved their blankets back from the incoming waves. The ocean water is always cold, but a few brave souls ventured out for short periods of time. I tried but could not capture in a photo the beauty of the day ~ I did capture the vast feeling I have when I stand on the beach at the ocean. Expansive. Unending.
[Several years ago Ken was offered a different job within his company. I clearly remember that we went out to dinner to discuss the opportunity. It was serious business because this type of job rarely opens up. We needed to consider it carefully because it would mean a move to Hanover, NH. While I don't remember everything we talked about, I recall the two things that topped the con list: moving away from friends and living four hours from the ocean.]
We have never regretted that we didn't make that move.
A day like yesterday reinforces our decision.

5 comments:

Marie said...

Sorry, we missed you. Anna, a friend and I were all at the beach as well from about 11 until almost 6. We met some people we knew and some people from "away." It was our only time at the beach, and most likely will stay that way until early October. I could never live far from the ocean...

Putting the pieces together... said...

Looks fantastic...good pictures of late... I've finally got to catching up a bit...I liked The Road to Acceptance post, and I think the first stop on that journey is identification...it is hard to accept things you cannot identify. I learn that too.

Anonymous said...

Wow ... Your beautiful beach photos bear an uncanny resemblance to our view of Lake Michigan, in Glen Arbor. Like you, I love the feeling that I'm being "swallowed up" by endless sky and surf. Walking the beach reminds me that my problems are small. Nature always gives us renewed perspective, doesn't it?

Sharon said...

Marie, sorry I missed you, too.

kd, you're onto something with the identification angle. That's why I have to stop "thinking" and listen.

Cindy, I have needed that fresh perspective and being near the water is the best remedy.

Anonymous said...

Hey- we were at Popham the next day. One of my all time favorite beaches- except now you have to be careful to get there around low tide so there is more to the beach! We love to go over to the island! Check out my pics if you want to!