Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Estrogen Cream Plus Natural Progesterone

*Note: My latest post at 50-something moms blog is titled From Childhood to Adulthood: How Do We Measure the Transition?

I had an acupuncture treatment today. I go once a month. She asks how I'm feeling and what my body is doing; she inspects my tongue, which I can't explain; and she takes multiple pulses, all through my wrists, and I can't explain that either. Based on what I say and my physical indicators, she determines what treatment is necessary. I told her today that I've felt more emotional than usual this week and haven't been hungry in the last week or so. Today's treatment was a series of needles on my right ear; needles in my lower legs; and one needle in my abdomen, the top of each hand, and my forehead. Then I relaxed to soft music for about twenty minutes. Without exception, I feel better after a treatment.

Today I shared that I have started using the estrogen cream that was prescribed for me over a year ago. She wrinkled her brow and asked, "And you're still using the natural progesterone cream, right?" The natural progesterone balances the unwanted effects of estrogen. I assured her I was still using the natural progesterone cream daily. I went on to explain that I used the estrogen cream every day for a week, and since then I have used it once a week. So far that has been enough.

Last week, for the first time in over two years, I did not need to use lubricant during intercourse and sex felt the way I remembered it. This is a good thing. A healthy sexual relationship is an important aspect of the intimacy my husband and I share. In my next post I will write about intimacy after menopause.

*An important note about the use of the creams I have mentioned here and in a previous post: Although natural progesterone is available at health food stores, it should be used according to the advice of your health care provider. A prescription is needed for any kind of estrogen cream, and your health care provider can talk about the options available.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I may have written this before but I am so glad to have found a woman who is writing about menopause and after.