Sunday, August 10, 2008

Family's Comin'

I have family coming to visit today. I am like a little kid with my nosed pressed against the window, waiting for them to arrive. This is a big deal.

The anticipated visitors are my mother, my sister, and my sister-in-law. I last saw my mom a year ago June, after she had a stroke and I went to see her. I intended to return last fall, but life got ahead of me and I couldn't get it together to plan or make the trip.

My sister is preparing to move to Scotland. Yep, across the ocean to begin a new life with someone, who by then will be her husband. [I don't have permission to share details, but if I get clearance I will reveal more soon.]

My sister-in-law, my brother's wife, was last here over a dozen years ago when my nephew was a little boy. She is the type of in-law who always seemed to belong in our family.

I don't see my family very often. Distance and schedules get in the way. The thing is that we have a good time when we get together. I am able to pick up where I left off with my brothers, sister, and mom. It doesn't matter how much time has passed since we last saw each other or talked on the phone.

We don't know the nitty gritty details of each other's lives, which may be a blessing. We know we won't have a lot of time together when we do see each other, so we hit the high spots, keep it real, and don't try to pull each other into the drama of everyday living. If something serious happens, we give a call and talk about what needs to happen next. Thankfully, those calls have been few and far between.

This visit is all about my family seeing my new home. The relatives get a road trip and I get to play hostess for a couple days. I'm looking forward to our time together.

No comments: