Tuesday, February 10, 2009

2-10-56

No moon tonight. The cloud cover is too thick. Jan's comment made me think of the movie Under the Same Moon, a foreign film about a boy who leaves Mexico to find his mother in LA. They have been separated for years and never give up hope that they will be reunited. It's a moving film about courage and perseverance.

This week my thoughts have turned to the trip Ken and I took to San Francisco in 2006. That's when we saw the awe-inspiring redwoods in Muir Woods, just north of the city. The trip was to celebrate my oldest son's graduation from college, my youngest son's graduation from high school, and my 50th birthday.

Today is my birthday.

My first gift was sleep. I slept for seven straight hours last night, and I can't remember the last time that happened. I finished a book just after midnight, wished myself a happy birthday, turned out the light, and woke up seven hours later. I would like that to happen more often, please.

My second gift was lunch with a friend. Last week I called my friend in town who is still nursing a broken ankle. I knew she had a physical therapy appointment today, so I called to see if I could take her. Before I knew it we had an afternoon planned, which included her buying me lunch at a restaurant I've wanted to try. Our ladies day out was fun.

Yesterday I received a lovely card from a friend. Ken called me this evening to wish me a happy birthday. I know I will hear from the kids at some point; the next time my son is up from Boston we will celebrate our February birthdays.

I used to set goals that I wanted to meet by such-and-such age. Invariably I would be disappointed when I didn't accomplish what I wanted by the deadline.

So I've learned not to set myself up like that. The day comes and goes much like any other day. I reflect on where I've been and where I would like to be.

I made myself an angel food cake, from a box, and will enjoy that while I watch a movie. There is fresh coffee to drink and a cat to warm my lap.

All in all it's been a good day.

10 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Happy Birthday Sharon! So glad you had such a wonderful night; seven hours is a gift! Sounds like you had a good day. Cake and a movie sound fabulous.

Best to you!

Kristen said...

happy birthday mom...I hope this year is full of only good things!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Sharon. I'm glad you had a lovely day ... and here's to you having many more lovely days in the coming year.

Anonymous said...

Sharon - What a nice way to spend your day ... no fireworks needed, just the sweet, simple pleasure of your own company and connecting with family and friends. Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Sharon! Sounds perfect! The start to a brand new year of exciting adventures!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Sharon! Sounds perfect! The start to a brand new year of exciting adventures!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Sharon,
Happy Birthday a day late!!! It sounds like you spent your birthday in such a gentle, beautiful way-- nurturing yourself. And isn't a good night's sleep amazing? I don't know about you, but this mid-life menopause thing wreaks havoc with peaceful sleep.
(smile). I hope the coming year is glorious for you!
Blessings!
p.s. I must get to the Redwoods! Thanks for the info

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY belated birthday to you, Sharon! I am so sorry I was late in visiting your blog and to send my good wishes. It's my husband's birthday this week, too, and I have been busying prepping for a dinner party for him between deadlines. Sounds like you had a wonderful celebration this week, and that you treated yourself well! Happy Valentine's Day to you, too, my friend!

Anonymous said...

Sharon, belated happy birthday to you!