Sunday, February 8, 2009

Picking Myself Up

Dusting myself off. Starting over again.

Encouraging words help. Hearing how others have weathered similar frustration helps. Support from friends and family helps. Not holding in the disappointment helps.

One of my professors, who serves as a reference, emailed to say that I might want to take a workshop on fund raising. It wouldn't be the same as having the experience, but it might help. Good advice.

A woman I know in town is also looking for a job. We are close in age and in similar situations. We talked last week about how things are going. She hasn't had any more luck than I have. She told me she cut her hair, long and graying, that she used to wear in a braid. I told her I was going to let my short hair grow out and attempt to return it to its original dark color. She is on the verge of doing the same thing herself. We can't confirm that our age has been a factor, but we agree that it's time to look seriously at what we can do to make ourselves more competitive in the job market.

She suggested we make an appointment to meet with someone at Women, Work, and Community, to review our resumes and assess our interview skills. Twenty-five years ago this non-profit affiliated with the University of Maine was called Displaced Homemakers. Today a woman doesn't have to be divorced or widowed to need help getting back into the work force.

There are jobs out there. People are being hired. Maybe the right position for me hasn't yet come along. When it does, I want to be ready.

5 comments:

WomenBloom said...

It is amazing what a little makeover can do. A WomenBloom member just retired in her early 60s. She's looking for a second career. She has gotten new glasses, a new updated hairstyle (she's gray), updated her make up and she looks so energetic and vibrant. All that doesn't even count the added confidence a new look can give. You are on the right track and I admire your attitude. Again, keep your chin up, the right thing will come to you!

Anonymous said...

You have the ability, education, personality, confidence, and desire. You're being proactive. Continue practicing patience until all the pieces fall in place. And they will. In the meantime, enjoy each day and the blessings you provide to those around you.

Look forward to update / photos of your hair makeover!

Anonymous said...

Always good to be proactive.

CaShThoMa said...

Sharon:

I think of you often and wish you all the best with your search for just the right job. I agree; it's out there.

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I like hearing how you're acting positively on your own behalf!