Monday, February 9, 2009

Full Moon

There is the most beautiful full moon lighting up the yard tonight. When I look out the window, it looks as if someone turned a streetlight on.

The light put me in mind of a post card I framed from our trip to Muir Woods in 2006. The scene is a ray of sun breaking through the clouds while fog rises among the dark silhouettes of trees on a hillside. In the bottom right-hand corner I copied the words of John Muir:

It is always sunrise somewhere.
The dew is never all dried at once.
A shower is forever falling.
Vapor is forever rising.

Light. Darkness. Beginning. Ending. Full circle.

I watched The Secret Life of Bees tonight, which closely follows the book. I liked the book more than I thought I would. I usually prefer the book if I've read that first, though in this movie the actresses portray beautifully the complex lives of their characters. There isn't always a simple explanation. An ending isn't all happy or sad.

At the end of the story, Lily writes in her journal: I guess I have forgiven myself, although sometimes in the night my dreams will take me back to sadness. I have to wake up and forgive again.

Light. Darkness. Full circle.

3 comments:

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Sharon,
What a beautiful, thoughful post. As I rose early this morning, I noticed this same glorious moon lighting up the dawn over the Bay in front of my home. Wherever we are, we are all connected, aren't we?

I've not seen the Bees movie yet. I want to. I loved the book. Glad to hear you did too.

I bet the Muir woods were amazing! Where are they?

Blessings.

Anonymous said...

I love the moon. It was up and shiny this morning and I should be able to see it most of the day. I never get tired of that.

CaShThoMa said...

Beautiful and moving words.

Thank you.