Wednesday, February 25, 2009

'S'No Power

I woke up a little after 1 a.m. Monday morning, probably because the house was suddenly quiet and completely dark. I laid there for a moment, and then I heard Ken say, "We've lost power." I waited. No change. Ken got up at daybreak to clear the driveway and start the portable, gas-powered generator, which we bought when we moved to this house in the woods. Thankfully, we haven't had to use it. Fortunately, it worked like a charm. Filled with gasoline it hummed for over 8 hours and ran the furnace, well pump, microwave, coffee maker, and television. The power isn't such that it would be good for a computer, so I used my laptop sparingly on battery power. The electricity came back on late Tuesday afternoon. This was the scene outside Monday morning:



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

AACK, Sharon. Can I tell you how jealous I am? What lovely snowy pictures! I can't remember the last time I got to just 'be' in a muffled, crisp smelling snowly landscape. In Texas right now, we are to hit 80 today and things are in bloom. Nice to be sure, but I crave some SNOW!

Joanne said...

I'm in CT, and we had a small weather system pass through Sunday into Monday. The meteorologists said it was blossoming into a full blizzard once it moved north of here. From the looks of your photos, I guess they were right! You look snowed in! (But it is pretty).

Anonymous said...

Let it snow, let it snow ... we've got another little winter storm coming through here (Pacific NW) tomorrow, but nothing like this.

Those pictures are delightful. The middle photo, showing the cleared driveway winding through the trees, is especially pleasing to look at. It really gets my imagination into gear.

And I've got a generator on my "to-get" list for future winters.

CaShThoMa said...

It's so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What enchanted photos, Sharon! But that's awful to be without power. Here in Michigan, we try to make an adventure out of it. Easier said than done, and it helps to have a good fireplace!

Sydney said...

Well, if your situation doesn't get too dire, it can be great to have those little forced visits to a time when we didn't have all the ease we have now, as a reminder of appreciation for how easy our modern conveniences make life... or that we should keep our skills up because within a snap of a cable we can be half back in the cave.

We have a cabin in CO without electricity or running water and we go there for a week. You work from sunup to sundown -- physically exhausted (the good tired) and yet wonderfully mentally cleansed!

The snow looks beautiful.

MMH said...

Beautiful photographs.